DYNA ignition help

BansheeKSA

I have a DYNA ignition system installed on my quad by previous owner and dont know anything about it.

Its currently set at "Curve 3" setting. Currently the left side has a very weak spark after a while of idling.

Starts up perfectly, but then after a few mins left side becomes very weak with no smoke. RIght side is perfect. 

Here are pics below: 

dg0gp.jpg

2qntfcy.jpg

2arqmg.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried any of the other modes? if you put it back on stock does it still do it? could be a bad plug boot or wire also.

Nope havent tried them since i got it from first owner. I've trimmed my spark plug wires back by 1cm, put the caps back on, gonna start it up tomorrow and see if that gets rid of the weak spark on left side during idle. Start up is fine. 

The left wire had white corrosion around it at the boot when i took off the cap. Below are all the pics i took tonight. Take a look and see if there is anything I should adjust or fix if its incorrect. 

9s9phh.jpg

20gbfuv.jpg

2u91ybt.jpg

2gselg3.jpg

35hiet5.jpg

2q3db9v.jpg

30lj4i8.jpg

Im with Special06, cut em back a little more OR jus make yourself some new ones, I'd even take the coil side out too and see what that end looks like.

On a side note, spend $25 bucks and get a case saver, snapped chain= cracked or broken case lol.

Once you get your plug wires all sorted out, IF it doesn't solve your problem, look into that cdi box, I had one similar to that. The mode switch went bad due to mud and water corrosion, I cant tell if yours is a plug in option or hardwired but an easy way to track that problem is just unplug the mode switch (if applicable), this will set the cdi box back to stock curve, start it up and see what it does.

Also double check all those plugs to the cdi box, sometimes stock and aftermarket don't go together real tight and you may get some corrosion there too.

Ill do just that. Will start up the motor in the morning and see what it does, I'll put the mode back to "Stock curve" and see if that eliminates the problem. Will disconnect the wires from the Box and plug them back in. 

Oh and make sure you get that stator cover sealed up tight. New gasket if ya have to. I just went down this road with a ''beater banshee'' I picked up cheap. gasket wasn't sealed and the stator side had about 2 cups of stinky water in it.

looks like you could use a new connector link in your chain too since it looks like the one you have is broken. maybe a whole new chain and sprocket kit is cheap preventative maintainace?

Oh no no thats not broken, thats just dust covered on the link, makes it look like its broken haha. But I checked all the links, and sprockets they are good. 

If the mode switch is a plug in option, just unplug it, easy to tell if its a switch problem then, Dynatek can get ya replacement parts but theyre not cheap if needed. As I mentioned before, I took mine off and just did my own timing plate mod with a stock cdi box.

Basically that box does 2 things for ya, it advances your timing without having to change the stock timing plate position, and it changes or adds a rev limiter depending on the model. oh and number 3, it makes your wallet a whole lot lighter lmao.

So you are suggesting I should get myself a stator with an adjustable timing plate on it and stock CDI? 

Edited by BansheeKSA

Looks like the clip that hold the connector link together is broken on the bottom side in your pic. should have a tab on the bottom like the top side. probably due to the fact someone installed it backwards at one point. find a pic of a new one. youll see.

2w4jkb8.jpg

2hd3bxd.jpg

I just checked them again and cleaned it up a little to make sure the link isnt cracked or the piece fell off, its still in shape. It was pretty new when i got it.

I want to make it clear that im not trying to scare you or force you into buying a whole bunch of new parts. This is just 30 years of experience owning banshee's, all in all theyre are simple 2 stroke machines, keep em simple and clean and they run forever.

I agree with you bro, I'll see what happens tomorrow and even post up a video on here of it starting and all. If the spark plug wire trimming solved the problem then hooraay, but I will still buy the stock CDI as you mentioned its more reliable and will last much longer than an aftermarket CDI. 

OK guys i started up the quad just now, and still no luck!  :( 

Now im 100% percent sure its the CDI, im gonna get an original CDI and see if that solved the issue. Even turned the curve setting to "Stock" on the switch that the aftermarket CDI came with. Gonna head to my local banshee store and see if they got the CDI. Till then lets hope this solves the issue! Oh and also when i hit the throttle, the left comes more alive and works with the right side, it was cold so there was more smoke coming out from the left and the right side was already warmed up. 

I'll tell u what I'll trade u , and that box does a whole lot more with a laptop and a curve maker. Can you plug another cdi in from another bike, like I said I doubt your cdi is dropping one cylinder, banshee have a total loss spark system both fire at same time , did u ever try swapping your carbs I see u have 28 pwks, too mee it's sounds like a clogged circuit pm me I'll give you my number I've seen a few other issues with 28s we can go through