tz and max load bearings

Joejr915

I had them build me a crank for a customers bike , I asked about 10 ball in the middle . He explained there center sections were thicker then stock and they use a special 8 ball for that so there's a lil flex in the center. I've never personally seen a center bearing go . Seen plenty wear with tons of runout but never break apart. In my head I can't grasp the whole flexing idea but I'm sure they have tons of r&ad

crankworks will tell you different things depending who answers the phone. some employees are just there to sweep floors and answer phones. since the center bearings are so close together 8balls would likely hold up fine but i dont see a problem using 10balls either. im not buying their story that 10balls makes the crank to stiff unless you have junk pins. hell i seen wiseco single break in half so i know some metal is inferior

wiseco single crank most likely imported china...  i think they even had a recall on some of them..

tz alone might have problems with side load.  but your running a crank with 3 side load bearings and 1 non side load.  i personally run 8's and one tz on smaller motors w stock gears, and 9 or 10 on stator side on larger motors.  

• 4 weeks later...

only thing is rollers cannot take a side load.  if you run 100% drum roller bearings ona 4 bearing crank it will float on the races. and in my mind if its setup with races opposing then it will tear up the bearings.   i have seen more peopel with blown out 10 balls then the 8 or even some 7 OEM bearings...   i dont know where to compare all the load characteristics of individual bearings by manufacturer.   

• 1 month later...

Think of to many balls like to much compression.

maxload needed and if so would it be needed on both sides ir just on the clutch side

does a unported cub 160psi comp need  a maxload and if so would it be needed on both sides or just on the clutch side

• 2 weeks later...

i have ran tz roller with angled gears for years..  i would say its more the oppisiste.  straights you can run ball bearing bearing. angles with more than 80 hp id say tz roller style.  it makes a pretty bullet proof bottom end.