Clicking sound from trans

LA98SHEE

I have a clicking sound in the transmission on my 96 it only does it in 2nd gear and only when motor is under a load if you jack the rear end up and let it free spin it does not make the sound just when idling around or under a heavier load I think I may have knocked a tooth off of 2nd gear is that correct?

You absolutely can pull them apart similar to what you're thinking. But regardless, once split it will need to be re sealed properly with new seals as well.

Drain fluids and pull top case bolts. Put the motor upside down, pull accessories off clutch and stator side. Undo retainers and nuts from bottom of case. Lift off to inspect. To be honest, it's a pain to do that way unless you have a good way to hold the motor, and everything needs to be cleaned and it's just personally easier IMO to to a full tear down. Then you get a chance to see any other funky stuff going on.

Actually, Jeff at FAST has a nice kit that is a complete trans bearing replacement. Even has a replacement bearing for the drum. Can get you all the seals as well as the right goo to seal it up. Might as well get a set of bearings for the crank to.

If you are serious and intend on getting some more HP in the future, you should just get the new trans cut. (look for pro mod trans) It would be wise to just weld the crank while you're in there if it's not done. Kill all the weak links while you're in there.

Agreed, if you are going to go that far, you really should weld the crank regardless of if you ever plan to add HP or not imo. I lost cranks in 2 bikes with nothing more than pipes back in the day.  I would just pull it down see whats torn up so you know what you need.  If the trans really looks trashed it may be easier and cheaper to just buy a complete good unit on here.  I have bought whole trans with drum forks etc for around 100 bucks.  If its just 2nd gear get a replacement and inspect the bearings.  Put all new seals in the bottom and seal her back up.