1st time out = sad panda

xBarricade

I bought my very first quad and proud to say it was a Banshee. I took it out after having everything checked out and maintenanced, carbs synced, compression tested and everything seemed good to go. I don't believe a leak down test was done. Regardless, out I went for a short easy ride in the dunes (as I live in Dubai, UAE) and I had a blast. Been out on a Raptor, a YFZ450, and on my motocross bike in these dunes and I must say the Banshee was just a whole new level of fun. Very impressed and glad I bought it even though people here said not to get it because it is a high maintenance money hungry biatch.

On the way back to my trailer the throttle began to stick, it was bogging down and no power was being delivered and eventually the engine just quit. Ended up getting towed back to the truck. I took it to the shop and the mechanics had a look and diagnosed that the one piston on the right side was shot so I would have to replace the Pistons and depending on the condition a port and polish. I was quoted and said go ahead as I would really like to have this as a backup toy to my MX bike. They opened up the engine and found that the crank was gone as well as the bearing. So this makes me a sad panda as I thought a $500-600 job would get it back in action...now it will be a hell of a lot more. So now I need to decide what to do, spend the a$$ load to completely rebuild it or just sell it as is and hope someone takes it to recoup some pocket change.

Anyway, just wanted to say loved it, best short ride I have experienced, and understand why you all stick by these wonderful machines. Pending on work and whether I stay in country for longer I may just pump out the money to build it back to it's glory.

unfortunately the cranks do take a shit if not welded.  Ive lost 2 stockers in bikes over the years.  My last couple banshees, i just split the cases and welded the cranks before even taking the bike on a trip.  It happens but if you get with a good mechanic and spend the money you will get it back together

You mentioned the mechanic said " depending in condition, you need a port and polish".

Just wanna tell you that it's time for another mechanic. You could need a bore and hone, but don't let someone force you in to porting your cylinders if you don't want/have to have it done. Also, I'm not really positive you guys have that many folks over there who are qualified to be porting cylinders. There's a reason all the big time racers over there are having engines built here in the states.

Get a clymer manual and do the work youself there's abig write up on here, find it if you google bansheehq bottom end assembly ,step by step with photos , just get your cylinders bored to next available bore and new Pistons ,as with crank take it to a different shop and have em check if it's still within specs ,if it is have em weld it ,if not buy a welded hot rods one,