Fabbing up a Reserve Tank to go in my Six-pack rack

muggzy

Anyone know where I can get a fill neck to weld in? (preferably alum.)  I've asked around locally and I get these dumb looks followed by "wow, you'd think that would be easy" but then a shrug followed by idk.  I dont want to put the over-sized (desert) tank up front, just don't like the way it looks and thought a container to fit in a six-pack rack would do the trick and look pretty trick. Esp if it was connected to the stock tank or the carbs via a shut-off and check valve.

I just need a fuel cap and therefore a neck to mount it on.  You see american chopper and other TV shows fabbing that stuff for custom bike tanks but who's making the fill neck for them?  They always seem to just appear.

Edited by muggzy

I used a 3gal spun aluminum tank off ebay and took a 6-pack rack and cut the bottom rails off the rack and welded on new mounting brackets for the tank onto the 6-pack rack. I use a shutoff valve under the tank, then a filter then it feeds into the back of the front tank. I run my dune bike on methanol and get more mileage out of my two tanks than the stock banshees do on gas with just the front tank.

681faa93.jpg

I aldo did the same thing for the tank on my R6 raptor. The factor air box and carbs sit under the front plastics so I moved the tank to the rear just like my dune banshee.

26eada68.jpg

That's the basic idea, but I'm looking to make something low and flat. Rectangular like a brief case, but small enough to fit in the rack and to be unobtrusive.  I'll figure out the exact dimensions and capacity once I can find an aluminum filler neck/cap combo.  But I'm thinking I could get an extra gallon or two that way.