Sabotaged 250R... Options

I like marine-tek grey , holds up to fuel great and I've used everything else and solely use this now. If I have to fill cases for trenching I use Wes - epoxy with aluminum etcher just cause of the ability to mix greater amounts at a time Wes systems have a large variety of uses and products, sorry for going on tangent

Did you mean marine-tex?

Is this the right stuff?  http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Tex-Might-Repair-Ounce/dp/B001446LKO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1427398911&sr=8-3&keywords=marine+tex

I read good things about devcon, but that stuff is like $80 for a lb.  May as well just buy new cases at that price point lol.

• 2 months later...

So I finally broke down and bought a nice torch to try to torch the bearings out.  Well it didn't work, but with some heat and a large impact socket I was able to tap most of them out.

However I can't get these 3 bearings out any ideas?

I tried heating the screws up and using my impact driver to break them free but I couldn't get them to budge. 

18184812548_ed9b6cde45_c.jpgCan't get these bearings out. by glamisduner, on Flickr

banging the bearings out is always a bad idea. should of just told the ol lady to go out for the night and then used the oven

2 of the bearings you need a blind bearing puller. the other one you need to take those 2 tabs out

I used a propane torch and heated the cases, then pounded them out.  They were in there pretty good, even with heating the case around the bearing.  I'm not trying to save the bearings anyways they are all trash.

I can't get the 2 tabs out because the screws are frozen, I heated them up very very hot, took a 4lbs sledge hammer to my impact screw driver and they will not turn at all. I put the cases on a 3/4th thick rubber mat laid on the concrete to help absorb the blows from the impact and sledge..

Also even with a blind bearing puller I don't know how to get the needle bearing out as it has no inner race.

Edited by Justintoxicated

I used a propane torch and heated the cases, then pounded them out. They were in there pretty good, even with heating the case around the bearing. I'm not trying to save the bearings anyways they are all trash.

I can't get the 2 tabs out because the screws are frozen, I heated them up very very hot, took a 4lbs sledge hammer to my impact screw driver and they will not turn at all. I put the cases on a 3/4th thick rubber mat laid on the concrete to help absorb the blows from the impact and sledge..

Also even with a blind bearing puller I don't know how to get the needle bearing out as it has no inner race.

First, those cases are tight tolerance. You are nuts for aimlessly pounding them out instead of finding a press to use for 5 minutes.

Second, when removing anything with heat, you don't torch the object inside that you're trying to remove. It's simple physics. Heat expands the metal, so by torching the bolt it swells inside the threads making it harder to remove. It also softens the bolt so it makes them easier to break off. TORCH THE SURROUNDING AREA.

Third, fuck it..... You got it figured out.

First, those cases are tight tolerance. You are nuts for aimlessly pounding them out instead of finding a press to use for 5 minutes.

Second, when removing anything with heat, you don't torch the object inside that you're trying to remove. It's simple physics. Heat expands the metal, so by torching the bolt it swells inside the threads making it harder to remove. It also softens the bolt so it makes them easier to break off. TORCH THE SURROUNDING AREA.

Third, fuck it..... You got it figured out.

They are blind bearings so a press isn't going to help, a BB puller will work for one of them, but shit that's another $110 for the tool, and I think a different kind of tool is needed for the one without the inner race.  For the 3rd bearing I tried both heating around the screws and the screw itself different times.  I torched the screw itself in case it was red loctighted in there. Neither helped they do not want to come out.  I was able to remove all the other screws in the cases that were similar, but neither of these will budge.  The way I heated around the screw was to heat up the buldge they go into on the opposite side of the case, than without getting too close to the screw a few passes around it.

BTW getting a shop to remove a bearing on a press isn't cheap around here.  Called around pricing what it would cost to get a bearing removed from a geo methro hub and it was about $80 (actually only one shop would do it, everyone else said they only do complete repairs), but after 2 months I finally talked to a  friend who knew a friend and he did it for free.  2 months though!, next time I will just pay the $80.

I know a shop that might be able to help that is a little more reasonable for ATV repairs.  I have a feeling the screws might need to be drilled out though, and I'm starting to consider buying some new cases for $500 instead :(

Take a big screw driver that fits the screws WELL. Put a pair of vise grips on the screw driver. Take a hammer and smack the top of the screw driver to "set it" in the screw really well. Put your weight down the the screw driver. Twist it with the vise grips. 

4b2030f0fe0700000c255b66ca0cc3cd.jpg

that's what I was using, tried a regular hammer on it before switching to the 4lb sledge.  I'm afraid of twisting the heads off the screws at this point.  The largest bit I have fits in the screw head about perfect, or it did before it started to deform.

4 lb. Sledge? Are you retarded?

Don't have to smack it as hard as with a hammer and has a larger head to avoid smashing the crap out of my hand, so I switched to the sledge, it's what a friend suggested. Anyways neither one is hitting it hard enough to free up the screw head.