Sabotaged 250R... Options

So I'm waiting for a case splitting tool before I can continue to take down the motor.

I don't know who, when or why someone did this to me, but I must be a bigger asshole than I imagined.  It probably happened at a Glamis trip, but I don't ride the R every trip to the dunes so it may have happened on a prior trip.

Second to last trip, or maybe it was last New Years, I took my 250R for a ride because I didn't have enough gas for the banshee (last ride of the trip).  When I got back to camp the thing was barley running, it had lost all it's compression.  So about a month ago I had the cylinders bored and honed and picked up a new piston.  Once I got it all together it started right up, but was making all kinds of strange noises.

So I pulled it back apart and this time I measured everything, and well, everything was perfect to spec.

So then I pulled the drainplug. 

15772141557_4a31fc8bf3.jpgSabtog 250r by Glamisduner, on Flickr

Well that's not looking too good so I pulled the clutch cover.

15338242903_77c390b546.jpgSabatog 250r by Glamisduner, on Flickr

I found about 6 stones in there this size.

15335588814_cc4386075d.jpgSabatog 250r by Glamisduner, on Flickr

So I think the noise was caused my a counter balancer bearing failure, the bearing is messed up, as are probably all the bearings in this motor.

So what to do now?  Most of the gears so far look ok, but should they be replaced anyways?  I haven't cracked the case due to needing a tool.   I doubt I'll ever find out who did this to my quad, but I want to get it fixed.  Should I buy a rebuilt bottom end?  Just replace all the bearings and seals if all the gears look fine?    The cost of a new bottom end is about 1/2 the value of the quad.

Going to pull the clutch cover off the banshee tomorrow to make sure they didn't hit my banshee too (which is also broken),  I think whoever did this did it while I was out on a ride.  We will see if they F'ed up my banshee too.

Man that's messed up for someone to do that, you piss someone off? Get on trx.org and you can find a lot of info and parts. Bike is in pretty good shape otherwise, I'd redo the whole bottom end so you don't have to worry bout it. Do a 4Mill crank and get with Neil (C-Liegh Racing) to port that cylinder on the forum. He's a good dude and a good builder.

That's fucked up , that's some fighting words rite there. I made my own puller with a couple of plates and a steering wheel puller while I was in a pinch . IMO every bearing needs to pulled from cases with a blind bearing tool so u don't destroy them clean them really good and roll in hands slow to feel for notchy shit. Before you oil them take a magnifying glass inspect everything for niks. If you have access to a true stand you can check bearing runout also

That's fucked up , that's some fighting words rite there. I made my own puller with a couple of plates and a steering wheel puller while I was in a pinch . IMO every bearing needs to pulled from cases with a blind bearing tool so u don't destroy them clean them really good and roll in hands slow to feel for notchy shit. Before you oil them take a magnifying glass inspect everything for niks. If you have access to a true stand you can check bearing runout also

Got a link to the bearing tool you suggesting?  Is it something I can borrow from autozone/kragen/o'reilly? I found some kits on ebay for $150 (Boss bearing) to $250 for honda OEM, I don't think they include the counter balancer, clutch bearings or pancake  though.  I have no idea how people fix the counter balancers, probably need to send at least that part out for work (looks like you might be able to remove it, but not sure how to get a fresh one pressed on without a hydraulic press).  I found a rebuilt one here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRX250R-OEM-COUNTER-BALANCER-ATC250R-TRX-250R-ATC-HONDA-85-89-REBUILT-/131267592997?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e90288325  So probably looking at closer to $400 for the bearings and gaskets, then I still need to replace at least couple gears as well.

I can find a complete rebuilt bottom end with new (re-manufactured powdercoated) cases for $800.  My side case was cracked and JB welded where the chain must have smacked it before I bought it.  It's been holding up fine like that though.  Still a whole new case might be a better way to go for not a whole lot more?

I'll probably skip the inspection and just replace them all... So far everything seems covered a a thick oily sludge that is slightly gritty.   

Edited by Justintoxicated

alot of times its just a bunch easier to go with the oem stuff. can go on one website and order everything you need in a single swoop and you know exactly what your getting. ya you can get good stuff piece by piece from a bearing house but its a pain in the ass and you have to be sure all the classifications on the bearings are the same and shit like that.

theres some exceptions like if your doing a special crankshaft for a banshee or something and want roller bearings instead of the ball type but for the run of the mill 250r you better off just getting oem shit.

Edited by registered user

I should have specified I wasn't going to go to a bearing place and try to figure that shit out I was looking at bearing kits on ebay like this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bottom-End-Engine-Bearings-and-Seals-Kit-Honda-TRX250R-1986-1987-1988-1989-/370871578174?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5659ab2e3e&vxp=mtr

vs Honda branded parts:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-TRX-250R-TRX250R-OEM-BOTTOM-END-BEARING-SEALS-KIT-NEW-ENGINE-CYLINDER-BDTM-/390948732777?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5b065c3f69&vxp=mtr

Any tricks to splitting the cases without the special tool?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So been busy rebuilding the banshee.  I think I have it fixed now, but I missed the whole season.  There's always next year I guess but I am certainly getting tired of working on the bikes 10x more than riding them !

Been out sick all week, and with the banshee fixed and cases back together decided to split the cases on the 250R.  So I got inside and found this.  Tons of sand, blocked oil passageway.  But all teh sand seemed to be at the bottom of the case.  none the less I think it would be a good time to replace all the bearings and seals.

16300571414_8e4257efb4_c.jpgMore sludge by Glamisduner, on Flickr

Now I was trying to be careful with the cases I didn't want to mess up any of the sealing areas.  But my dog kept bothering me to play some ball and I felt bad for neglecting her since I was mostly resting all week (This is the worst cold I have had in years!).  While throwing the ball for her I suddenly heard a loud bang.  Case into the garage to find the case on the concrete floor :(  Not sure exactly what happened, but I must have rested it on part of the engine that was just friction stuck and it let go.  I wish I knew exactly what I did wrong but I never will know how exactly this happened...

16921953401_a8e35bc334_c.jpgCase damage by Glamisduner, on Flickr

So this is where the alignment pin goes in.  In this case toast?  Now I'm planning to sell this thing to help fund an RzR, but I still want to get it fixed right for the next owner.  Any ideas?