Sold the bike, 89 KTM 500 2 stroke, going to get a Banshee, going to get a Banshee

kott0n

Hey guys

So much information here, loving it. I've answered a lot of questions already. I have some more though...

I live in the Portland, OR area. Lots of mountain riding with logging roads. I will primarily be riding on these logging roads and trails with about 2-4 Southern Oregon dune trips a year.

I either want to find a STOCK Banshee or one with Suspension work (Works/Elba). I'd rather do the engine upgrades my self so I know who did them and when/how. This may not be a big deal though. I'm comfortable doing work on 2 strokes, I've owned 5 bikes just never a 4 wheeler (Besides a Polaris Sportsman 4 stroke).

Things to look out for:

Tie rod/bushing play.

Axle/bearing play in rear

Rusted frame rails, also dents/cracks/brakes in frame.

Check around foot pegs for cracks/welds.

Check oil/coolant condition and level.

Make sure air box and/or filter is sealed.

Checked shock seals for signs of leaking

Ask what Premix they used

Ask what they put in the Radiator (it does freeze here)

Anything else to look for? I have a pretty good understanding of off road machines.

With my riding style in mind, a powervalve setup seems ideal. I'm also a bigger guy, (6'2 280) so the low end grunt would be ideal. I'm just getting tired/old and done wrestling this bike around. As I get older, its getting to be to much to ride. It's 65hp stock and it's bored .30 over and a Z racing customer pipe from the 90's. Parts are stupid hard to find or outrageous in price. I had fun with it, don't miss it though!

Where are these cylinders coming from? (Cheetah, CUB, T-Rex etc). First guess is snowmobiles? Who still makes a Power valve cylnder?

Edited by kott0n

bone stock banshees are pretty rare from my experience. before i bought mine i bet i seen 100 and maybe 2 of them were stock. i bought stock one mainly because i didnt to find a bunch of fuked up shit in the engine from the previous owner taking it apart and not having a clue how to put shit back together

This ^^

Who knows what people have done to possibly a 15 year old bike.

Well, buy stock if you want, but here's what I bought. Ported motor, wiseco pistons, trued and welded crank, billet clutch basket, billet intakes, 33 PWK carbs, K&N filters, VForce reeds, T5 pipes, chrome Lonestar +4 roundhouse swingarm, lonestar axle, billet sprocket and brake hubs, blue label wheels, Skat Trak paddles, mohawks, chrome stock A arms, polished clutch cover, billet foot pegs, billet shifter, chrome rear brake lever and kicker, and all the usual billet cosmetic goodies, with a title. $2500.

you can make a argument for both sides of the fence. finding a bike loaded with goodies, at a great price, that was built up by someone that has a clue , doesnt happen every day. i looked at alot of them before i got mine and ya 99% of them had some bling parts but i noticed on alot of them the bling was just to polish a turd

Well, buy stock if you want, but here's what I bought. Ported motor, wiseco pistons, trued and welded crank, billet clutch basket, billet intakes, 33 PWK carbs, K&N filters, VForce reeds, T5 pipes, chrome Lonestar +4 roundhouse swingarm, lonestar axle, billet sprocket and brake hubs, blue label wheels, Skat Trak paddles, mohawks, chrome stock A arms, polished clutch cover, billet foot pegs, billet shifter, chrome rear brake lever and kicker, and all the usual billet cosmetic goodies, with a title. $2500.

DAMN!