Can someone explain the effect of different pipes?

dgk30

I have two banshees, one I ride and one I am working on getting ready for next year. The one I ride has a set of T5's and I've always had T5's so that's all I know. On this one I am putting together I need to decide on a set of pipes, my question is how will fmf gnarly's affect the ride. I take my bikes to the dunes quite often and was looking to get a cheaper set of pipes for this one and was thinking of gnarly's or fatties, I do trail ride every once in awhile or ride a track now and then. My question is will the gnarly's really hurt the power in the dunes? I've never had a bottom end pipe on a banshee so I am wondering how badly it will affect it. I wouldnt mind a little extra bottom end but if it really takes away from that necessary top end in the sand then maybe not. If you have experienced both types of pipe, Let me know if it's a big enough difference that I will really notice it.

FMF has three versions for the banshee.

Gnarly- being their low end pipe. This oughta really wake it up down low yet still allow the bike to rev beyond the mid range a touch better then the stockers, yet will have a abrupt sign off. Probably not a good choice if you spend time in 5-6 gears out in the dunes a lot. Definitely a good idiot hole or tight trail pipe

Fatty- being their mid all around pipe. It really doesn't make as much low end as he gnarly, but it will be better off idle and really charge through the mid and rev fairly ok in to the higher RPM's with more of a taper off in power unlike the harsh sign off of the gnarly.

SST- being developed for more open riding is actually a pretty good dune pipe for the less built motors. It's designed to not lose any bottom but it really doesn't start to do much if anything till the bike is in the mid. It really starts to charge and carries well in to the RPMs and allows a touch of over rev.

FMF FATTY'S FTW!

I've always liked ProCircuits over FMF! I've had them on my CR125R, my WR500, and now on my Banshee. Everytime they out perform simular setups with FMF's. I think there's a dyno sheet around with ProCircuits on a 421, and the curve still looks great on the bigger displacement engine.

Anyway, the only upgrade I would consider so far is the CPI. Good luck with you build!