steering stem limiter necessary?

Kendrick81

Hello all,  I got in a wreck the other day and messed a few things up.  One of them being the part of the steering stem where the tie rods attach.  It looks like the left side is bent down a bit (not too terribly).  I am able to align the Shee straight......can I run it like that or do I need to get another steering stem?  Also the main point of my question as the topic says (should have started with this....scatter brain!) is that the limiter that is on the steering stem never touches the stopper part on the frame (sorry for not knowing the terminology properly).  Honestly I don't know if it ever has (since I've owned it)!  Is this a big deal or should I just align the Shee straight and let it run?  Another part of the issue is that the front right spindle appears to be bent (closer to the rotor), however again I can still align the bastard straight.......should I replace or can I just run it?  Any help on these issues would be great.  I will try and post some pics for you to see, because I think somewhere in there on the right side I have a bent heim joint or something weird, maybe you guys can tell me since you have experience far greater than mine........the real kicker is, what if it's the left side that is bent because that's what I have to compare it too!  J/K pretty sure it's the left side that's messed up.  Much thanks for listening and in advance if you reply.

Bob

Edited by Kendrick81

If the steering stop is not limiting the amount of turning, the outer end of the tie rod will go overcenter and the steering will lock at full turn causing you to crash. If the spindle is bent, chances are very good that the shaft that the wheel bearings are on is bent, causing the wheel bearings to be out of line with each other. Replace the bent shit before you crash and die.

Fix everything. Do not gamble on recycling wrecked parts. I'm sure you'd much prefer not wrecking.

Some one may have modified the stop on your frame. Could have ground it back. If that's the case, find, call, meet, or even blow someone to weld something back on. There are a lot of guys who think it's a legitimate idea to remove that thing. They say it's never locked up on them. But fact is, it's not whether or not it's done it yet. It most certainly can, and has put fellas on here in the hospital. Get it fixed or don't ride with out your health insurance info around your neck.

Thanks Tricked, I'll find a welder and figure something out......any idea on how big it's supposed to be or where it should be stopped? I have actually had the steering lock out fully on me a couple years ago in the woods......really freaked me out luckily it was low speeds, and I hadn't put way more money than I should have into it like I have now. Good advice from all of you.....I really appreciate it. Anyone else willing to chime in with ideas would be greatly appreciated as well.