School me on porting

j440

So I bought some stock cylinders to replace my blown ones. Well I finally pulled the intake and reeds off of the stock cylinders and more news to me, it looks like they added ports or something.. Some serious work looks like. Heres some pictures of what I mean. Is this a common mod? Trying to learn about these things and why and what kind of mods people are doing. This seems pretty interesting..

Heres the old modified cylinder (see the crack/broken peice, thats why i opted for a new cylinder rather than having that fixed/resleeved.... might reconsider if the price to match this cylinder is outragous)

bansheejug1.jpg

Here is the stock cylinder I just bought

bansheejug2.jpg

Not putting stockers on. I want to send the right cylinder out to get matched to the left. (the left wasnt damaged when it blew up) Can anyone do this work? I talked to F.A.S.T before i knew this. It seems like redline does some good work too.. I want the same setup going back in this thing, it was insane fast.

Edited by j440

Wait. You bought one cylinder?

It'll be tricky to match unknown port work. It would of been easier to just get a new set of cylinders with a low bore and port them and start fresh. Have that topend for a while.

What bore are they now?

Does the one side need another size up to freshen it up?

No I bought two, but I figured since the one was fine I could have someone match it, or put their own touch to it. Looked near new when I pulled it off. Probly just hone it if I keep it

I would have no problem getting the new cylinders ported together if thats easier. As long as I can match the power I had or top it.. I just figured what was in it was pretty good. Do you think a good port job without those boost ports would be as good if not better?

Edited by j440

I wouldn't match a jug to the ported one. It'll just crack just like the one in the picture.

Sprinklerman is right.

I just experienced an almost identical failure to this with my stock cylinder setup. My stock cylinders are bored to 66 mm and have very similar looking port work.

I made the decision to go away from stock cylinders and have Redline build me a ported Serval.

There was only about a $100 difference in going the Serval route versus starting over correctly with stock cylinders.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk