Improving Braking

Jgspahn

How can I improve the braking on my machine. I feel like I have to stand up on the read brake to get her to respond. I have a few other questions about braking for these bikes.

1. I found a good deal on some yfz 450 front brake calipers. Do these improve enough to notice and will 2005 calipers work on my bike?

2. Will steel line improve response?

3. Is there anything I can do to improve the rear brake? I takes a ton of travel before the brakes engage it feels like.

I was told you need both master and calipers from the 450 for the best results.

I have individual lines from the master to the fronts and it's a shit load better then stock.

^^^that...

As far as your rear make sure it is bled real good...there is also and adjuster at rear brake pedal you can adjust...if that is out of wack it may not be applying the master soon enough...

Do the 450 conversion if you think your brakes suck...the calipers have 2 pistons verses 1...

1) Does your current brakes lock up? If yes, then they are good.

2) YFZ brakes are better than banshee beacuse of the 2 pistons, but you will need the MC to get the most out of them.

3) Steel lines are only better if your stock ones are fucked.

4) Rear brakes on a quad offer very little braking, the stock setup works well enough.

I run the yfz calipers and MC with dual SS lines. Only reason I upgraded is because my stock calipers needed rebuilt.

1 - Yes the lock up.. but takes a lot of travel for the rear and id like to be able to have less travel before they do.. 

2 - The deal doesnt include MC.. but he selling the calipers for 25 shipped.

3 - I dont think they are fucked but they are original and old.. they dont leak or anything 

4 - Thats true.. but man when all of the sudden im on 2 wheels and only see sky, id like to have a better chance to tap the brake and have it come back down.. (happened this weekend lol)

No. Yfz brakes are leaps and bounds better then stock.

If your brakes lock up, there useless. You want to slow down in control.

Banshee brakes are either off or locked. There's very little feather room. I rode a yfz and almost flipped mashing the fronts. They never locked. Just slowed down extremely fast

My rears suck too.

Have to agree with going forward on the 450 calipers and master cylinder. The master gives you a real responsive yet progressive feel that is doable with just one or two fingers. Definitely get the right bolt to run dual SS lines.

Expect to cut or remove the dust shields. The calipers will bolt directly on.

Only way it will be any better is if JD starts cutting rotors for the banshee with about 3/4" of added diameter. This would really up the ante for the conversion. I keep meaning to have a set made but shit keeps happening.

Edited by trickedcarbine

Just went out on a data logging run, the 450 brake setup will almost throw you over the bars with one finger at 95mph haha.

Fucking first world white folk problems. First the EFI wants to shove ya backwards off the seat, then the brakes wanna throw you forward over he bars....

Fucking first world white folk problems. First the EFI wants to shove ya backwards off the seat, then the brakes wanna throw you forward over he bars....

Pretty much, it's spinning tires hard in 4th gear on hard dirt road. Finally hooks in 5th and 6th. Not bad for a lil' 350 with "low rev" pt pipes