New Or Used Banshee Which One

Curtis929

I am fixing to get a Banshee finally afrer months of waiting. I have the oppurtunity to buy a used 2001 Black and white Banshee from my friend. Only thing is he fliped it over at the Dunes and Bent the Steering Stem and right front wheel is bent a little. Steering stem is slightly tweaked not bad here are the mods on it.

Pro Circuit Pipes

Pro design adapter and K&N Air Filer with outer wear.

Billet Impelar

Renthal Bars

Skin Graphics and seat Cover

Cool Head with 19cc domes

Stiffer clutch springs

AC nerf Bars

Parking braking taken off with new clutch perch

And properly Jetted and Has several dyno runs done on it

Producing 46hp with all the mods.

But since it has been flipped over at low speed I was wondering what you guys would do. Buy the Used banshee for 4400$ is what he wants for it. Or buy a brand new one which I can get an 04 for 5500$ out the door.

get the 04, he doesnt have 1100 worth of mods and is askin about 900 to much,3k in mods would maybe net you back a grand on resale, so if he added a-rms and shocks and the stem wasnt bent and the rims were douglas or itp with good tires id maybe offer him 4k. providing the platsics wernt all dinged up

i say find another used one with more shit done to it for that price. you can find some good deals. i would never buy a new one personally i have made that mistake on my z400 i wish i could have bought a used one with shit done to it for a lower price and be just as happy and be savin cash at the same time but i had to be all impatient and get it the day it came out... so go for used not his for that price you could get more. just my opinion.

yea i i agre get a used shee. thier fastas hell for a cheaper price. also what is this with the california thing. are they outlawing 2-strokes. ive heard rumors bout it but what the hell is going on its like people are trying to kill a legend, something that has made a huge diff. in the sport.

Yup. They've outlawed any OHV that doesn't meet a certain emissions standard. This includes all 2-strokes and a handful of 4-strokes. The way to tell if your quad is outlawed is by looking at the VIN #. If the eighth digit is a "3" or a "C" then your vehicle is a red sticker. Red stickers are only enforced in some riding areas (read: most riding areas) and the dates that you can't use them vary. Usually red sticker bikes can't operate May thru Sept or so. It's absolutely ridiculous since your campfire at night produces more pollution than every 2-stroke out at Glamis on Thanksgiving weekend! Interestingly enough, the law has caused the price of '02 and older bikes to surge. Bikes that are 10 years old are selling for $900 off of a brand new one.

California is sofa king we todd did.

It looks like new ,plastic has no scratches what happened was he clutched a wheelie up at the dunes from a dead stop and it grabed harder than he wanted it to and he came off of it the steering stem you can barely tell it is bent.

All the jetting and Motor work was done by some top mechanic in Sulphur Springs Tx. He runs a mix of race gas and 93 Octane pump gas. I cant talk him down because he is my best friend and needs every bit of this money to buy his new quad. He is getting a Raptor. But I would like to do a compression test on the cyclinders because if it needs a rebuild then I dont want to give him 4400$. I have never ridden another banshee so I dont know what to go by. I know it has insane power and doesnt feel like it lags or anything.

All the stuff I have read on here about the 19cc domes I told him about it and he says the mechanic that works on it said that they would be fine. But I dont know what elevation we are at so that has factor.

Thanks For everyones input.

It sounds like you've already talked yourself into buying it. I've bought many banshees and learned alot. Everything on 'em cost a minimum of $100. If the stem is bent, then it's likely the bars are bent and the frame is bent at the top steering stem mount. You should look at the bike and the plastic should fit perfectly. If the plastics don't fit tight especially where the rad plastic slips into the top of the front fender plastic, then the "hoop" is bent. The A arms and the frame are remarkably delicate and roll over commonly bend this stuff too. Also the grab bar wings on the back of the frame commonly get bent on roll overs.

Add to all of this the engine work. Make sure you get the paperwork on the mods done at the shop. Just so you know.

If you can, post some pics and if there's anything we can see that will help, we'll let you know.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think I would ever buy a new quad. There's too many out there that can be gotten cheaper with more mods and are just as reliable. Besides the warrantee you get from the dealer is almost worthless and the idiots that work at most dealerships are no smarter than most of the noobees here on the HQ <_<

dude, I'd keep looking. 4400 is a lot to ask for that bike that doesnt have that many mods. You wont be able to talk your friend down because he is your friend. You could find a quad very similar for 3000-3500.

Personally I bought my quad new because I know what has exactly been done to it in its lifetime. I take personal satisfaction in building the bike to exactly how I want it. And it is coming along that way. I have dumped more money into it than I would of if I bought it used with stuff already done to it, but I know my quad up and down, and what its gone through. Not to mention half the satisfaction is upgrading and feeling that power increase, and suspension setup, and just the overall joy of taking a plain jane banshee and making it YOUR toy.

Sure, you could take off stuff that you dont want on a used quad, sell them, and replace it with stuff you like......but its still someone elses toy.

dude, I'd keep looking.  4400 is a lot to ask for that bike that doesnt have that many mods.  You wont be able to talk your friend down because he is your friend.  You could find a quad very similar for 3000-3500. 

Personally I bought my quad new because I know what has exactly been done to it in its lifetime.  I take personal satisfaction in building the bike to exactly how I want it.  And it is coming along that way.  I have dumped more money into it than I would of if I bought it used with stuff already done to it, but I know my quad up and down, and what its gone through.  Not to mention half the satisfaction is upgrading and feeling that power increase, and suspension setup, and just the overall joy of taking a plain jane banshee and making it YOUR toy.

Sure, you could take off stuff that you dont want on a used quad, sell them, and replace it with stuff you like......but its still someone elses toy.

yeah what he said.......