Serval or port

I just built a redline clean up port 421 serval and it doesn't even come close to adding up to the few stock cyl 4 mils ive ridden.

could you elaborate more on your above statement please?

I have never been on a serval but I had a Redline Ported stock cylinder motor for years and then I went to to decked down 421 Cub. If I had it to do all over again I would probably have Cam port me another set of stockers and keep running them! I think for the cost and what you can get out of a stock cylinder it is just a better option in my mind. I am looking at the whole picture for one thing this damn cub burns way the hell more fuel that my stock cylinder ever dreamed of and when you are a duner and want to do all around riding that is one thing to look at. You can build a stock cylinder ported 4 Mill on stock carbs that will runs awesome and have a shit ton more power than what you are use to. I would say call a builder talk to him and see what you think after that. 

I have never been on a serval but I had a Redline Ported stock cylinder motor for years and then I went to to decked down 421 Cub. If I had it to do all over again I would probably have Cam port me another set of stockers and keep running them! I think for the cost and what you can get out of a stock cylinder it is just a better option in my mind. I am looking at the whole picture for one thing this damn cub burns way the hell more fuel that my stock cylinder ever dreamed of and when you are a duner and want to do all around riding that is one thing to look at. You can build a stock cylinder ported 4 Mill on stock carbs that will runs awesome and have a shit ton more power than what you are use to. I would say call a builder talk to him and see what you think after that. 

But to get the most power out of stockers (roughly 85-100hp right?) doesnt it need to be a drag port that has all the power up top and like a lightswitch and on race gas (obviously it doesnt have to be) to get the most out of stockers?  seem like to get 85hp out of a serval would be easy as pie and you could still have some bottom end and a much higher ceiling for power increases all while still being on good ole' pump gas.  seems like in order to get the most out of stockers, you are sacraficing rideability?  I guess it comes down to your future goals as well as numerous other variables...

But to get the most power out of stockers (roughly 85-100hp right?) doesnt it need to be a drag port that has all the power up top and like a lightswitch and on race gas (obviously it doesnt have to be) to get the most out of stockers?  seem like to get 85hp out of a serval would be easy as pie and you could still have some bottom end and a much higher ceiling for power increases all while still being on good ole' pump gas.  seems like in order to get the most out of stockers, you are sacraficing rideability?  I guess it comes down to your future goals as well as numerous other variables...

Also, seems like a serval would make it possible to have a 85-100hp duner with only a little porting vs a 70-80hp duner, stock cyl on race gas with almost max porting. Would that be a correct assertion?

Build what you can afford and go out an ride it an enjoy the days of summer. Everyone has different riding styles an different motors they like to ride.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

What if you can potentially afford both, but want to get some opinions of some knowledgeable fellas before you make a purchase? banghead  :cheers:

Stock cylinders can make some pretty good power. We have all seen graphs on them. I'm not against them however since you are wanting more power now eventually down the road you will want more then what you have now even if you do ported stock cylinders. The serval would make a great trail motor. Good hp and trq right out of the box and then when you want more again you can port them and do better supporting mods instead of doing this whole setup later on. IMO when you wanna jump up on motor size and make more power, jump big so you save money down the road

im getting tired of paying $9+ for race fuel.  80hp on pump sounds really nice...Hopefully more people knowledgeable members can expound on their experiences relating to this topic.   

do a big 10mil serval. over 100hp on pump. Sure it's way more expensive but you dont want race fuel and you want big dyno numbers.

A 10 mill cast crank is about a grand, and trenching, what's that? A buck fifty or so?? I think the big increase in power is worth the money....besides with more power comes better suspension.. Long travel arms with some floats or elkas... Longer swinger...Bam another 3 grand.

A 10 mill cast crank is about a grand, and trenching, what's that? A buck fifty or so?? I think the big increase in power is worth the money....besides with more power comes better suspension.. Long travel arms with some floats or elkas... Longer swinger...Bam another 3 grand.

Dont forget carbs, pro mod trans, clutch, porting, domes, cool head etc You dont cheap out a build like this. Might as well build the most efficient engine you can the first time. Add anohter 3-5k to that total. I cant give you a figure, i only did a 521. Didnt do my chassis yet. Oh, and i went over board with power. I shoulda did a 4mil with no porting. However, i didnt want to say i should of went bigger.