Carb Question

Hockey390

I have an 87 banshee and I am going to buy the FMF SST pipes. I have a K&N filter, and no snorkle on my airbox. One of my carbs has a stripped thread so I need to replace it (held on with locktite). I was just wondering if I should just get a new set of stock carbs, or should I go up some sizes? I am not sure what the purpose of larger carbs is, so with the FMF SST pipes and K&N filters should I be getting larger carbs or stock? :blink:

I have an 87 banshee and I am going to buy the FMF SST pipes. I have a K&N filter, and no snorkle on my airbox. One of my carbs has a stripped thread so I need to replace it (held on with locktite). I was just wondering if I should just get a new set of stock carbs, or should I go up some sizes? I am not sure what the purpose of larger carbs is, so with the FMF SST pipes and K&N filters should I be getting larger carbs or stock? :blink:

w/ no porting, stay stock. You'll lose hp on a larger carb...the larger carbs only benefit w/ porting...you also might want to cut the air box lid or remove it if your not riding in mud....that'll give you great gains..

Banchetta is right on.  What screw is stripped?  If it's like a bowl screw there may be enough material there to just drill & tap it for the next larger screw size...

He's probably talking about the carb top. I had a '89 that was the same way.....I'd like to try some PWK26's......the flat slide is supposed to have better low end, that'd be sweet!!

Ya, it is the carb top. Totally stripped on the actual carb so product that give you back threading wont work because it would make it smaller and then you would need a smaller top.

So if I were to port my quad further down the road, would larger carbs be needed? Or will stock work fine?

Ya, it is the carb top. Totally stripped on the actual carb so product that give you back threading wont work because it would make it smaller and then you would need a smaller top.

So if I were to port my quad further down the road, would larger carbs be needed? Or will stock work fine?

Larger carbs aren't required,but you'll benefit a little w/ them w/ the porting...2hp gain w/ larger carbs on a port job...most trail riders like the 2 into 1 or the 28PWKs for the low end response....I've tried ported stock carbs and 34's and lost hp w/ both....I have polished cylinders...