PTO crankshaft seal direction?

RKJLOW

i bought VITOS all in one set for the seals for the banshee Im rebuilding i looked them over and installed but the PTO side of the crank the gear isn't wanting to go in, installed the seal with the ribs and the spring facing out there is no OUTSIDE or otherwise markings on it. there's text on both sides of the seal. In the lower-end walk through post #5 http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=140912 shows the spring on the outside also. I did get the gear to go on but the spring popped of the seal. any input or help is greatly appreciated. supposed to go riding this weekend

its not even backwards! i split the case just out of shear frustration and thats the only way that first seal can go in. damn it i hate second guessing myself

You spent time making sure its done right. You should be proud of yourself.

if the PTO seal is installed backwards and the other side has a solid rubber ring (and some do) you need to turn it around, those notches are a breather for oiling the bearing, I learned along time ago things are not engineered and custom tooling made because Yamaha wants to waste money, they do things for a reason

• Like 1