maintanance for 3 year sitting banshee

Hello everyone ive been away from this forum for quite a while now, I got a new toy and ive been on a different forum. Ive been away from my banshee for 3 years now and it hasn't been turned on since. I will finally be bringing it back this weekend and I wanted some advice on how to properly get it back up to date. It was running perfect but like I said it been sitting for 3 years so hopefully it'll still turn on somewhat easy. As far as maintenance im thinking oil change, drain and new fuel, spark plugs? Maybe a carb rebuild? If I do need it how hard would it be for me to rebuild my own carbs if I buy a rebuild kit? Ill appreciate any advice on how to get it running strong again as ive been away from the game for a while and have no idea where to start.

Thanks!

and heres a picture of it because everyone loves pictures lol :P

eb981625.jpg

I would drain all fluids and replace them, New plugs, clean carbs, check jetting, leakdown test, could do a compression test also. After 3 years the pistons walls might have some surface rust so possibly put a dab of your premix in the plug holes and work it in before trying to start it.

I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in soon.

you pretty much got it right there.  i'd just buy carb kits now and replace needle and seats.   you would probably be suprised how easily they will "turn on" after sitting a long time.  the clutch might be stuck together also.  

Finally got the bike started but I'm having some idle issues. Here's why I've done so far, I cleaned and re-oiled my k & n filters, cleaned out my carbs, cleaned out my gas tank, changed my oil, changed my spark plugs. It's started up fine at first it don't give me a hard time or anything but I woul have to keep giving it a little throttle to keep in on and after about 10 seconds of idleing it woul just rev HIGH on its own and I would just hit the kill switch. I messed around with the bolts on the TORS and I managed to keep the RPMs from sky rocketing on their own but I still have to give it some throttle to keep it on. It's throwing a lot of smoke, it backfired when kick starting it, and it smells awful, like 3 year old gas just like the gas tank did, and I even saw some sparks coming out of one of the silencers when it was revving high on its own. Any one have an idea on what it could be? Also should it still smell like bad gas even through I drained the old one and I cleaned the carbs? I have not let it idle for more then 5 minutes.

you need to do a proper synch.  just " messing" with the screwes on the backs your probably way off on the settings.  PLUS  did you completely remove the slow jets and spray carb clean through them AND use compressed air to blow through every passage in the carb?   the slow jets are still plugged.  its causing a lean condition to happen as it comes off the choke circuit.  keep it up and your going to cook the motor. 

I didn't remove any jets or spray compressed air thru them. I didn't just mess with the screws, I did "attempt" to sync them as they were notisably off. And that's why I'm here asking for advice, I don't want to cook my motor. So what's the next step? Remove the carbs again and clean the passages? How many passages are there per carb?

a bike sitting for 3 years in my opinion will get new crank seals, after years of sitting the rubber attaches itself permanetly to the crank and as soon as you kick it over you tear the seal, not always but this is more common than you think, you may have torn the mag side and now you have an air leak

Well it is smoking a lot and it also stinks but I think it's just the old gas and oil in the pipes because it smells the same way the gas tank did before I cleaned it. When I remove the stator cover does it jus come off or do I have to watch out for anything attached to it? Also it may be that I over oiled the filter as well. When I first put the filters on it started revving high on its own so I then removed the filters an started it again and it didn't rev high by its self, so then I reinstalled the filters again and it didn't rev high on its own. So basically what it's doing now is just that my idle is off and it doesnt stay on, it doesn't rev high on its own anymore

I'll check it out after work, I'll take the carbs apart and clean the jets and blow them thru with air. I also noticed that my rubber choke line that goes from one carb to the other is missing. Does that have anything to do with it? Also is there any way I'll damage my engine by starting it and seeing what it does? Of course I'm not going to let it sit there and idle high by it self I'll hit the kill switch but if its not over revving I should be fine right? No damage? I'm paronoid if ruining my engine

Edited by banshee#14