Fmf Fatty Jetting

Hockey390

What jetting would you all suggest for FMF Fatty's while using a K&N filter...Also what should I do with my airbox? remove lid completly, or just the snorkle. I trail ride so I dont want to remove the whole box.

I'm not looking at my quad because its at my other house, but I think the jetting I have is 170, 2nd notch

I'm thinking that with only the snorkle off it will be around 230-250 range? and w/out the lid maybe 270-290?

Give me your oppinions.... :unsure:

What's your elevation? If it has 170 mains and it's not running lean, I'd guess 6000'+...my '96 had 170's in it when I bought it, was jetted for Santa Fe.

Anyway, roughly add 8 sizes to the mains for pipes, 4 more for the K&N, 1 for no snorkel and another 1 if you remove the whole lid (I would). So if it has 170 mains start with 310 mains. I would also start with 30 pilots, set the airscrews 1.5 turns out and leave the needle where it is now; dial in the mains first, then the pilots/airscrews, then the needle clip position if necessary. This should get you close, and if anything be a safely rich starting point, but if you're not at a high elevation I would start a little richer on the mains just to be safe. Good luck.

Well When I did the same mod I STOCK -> Fatty's, K&N, and Air box lid removed, I went up 10 jet sizes for the main and one more position on the needle from the top

320 main, stock needle on 4th clip position, stock pilot jet

Im at sea level though and It was a little on the rich side...

you needle is already on a different clip and your main jets are already much smaller so you must be at some funky elevation? I would lower your needle clip one position from what its at, and try going up roughly 10 jet sizes or more like BenBB said.

I'm not formilliar AT ALL with proper jetting, so I probably gave you the wrong numbers. Possibly 270??? I have the needle in that came with my K&N kit.. I'm thinking real hard to remember what its called and I think its a K&N performance kit??? It came with needles and jets, K&N filter, pre-charger, cleaner and a cover for the filter. Im in michigan at sea level and my quad is running the best it ever has right now... When when you say mains you are talking about the peice you screw in to the carb correct? right into the float bowl? (Just making sure we are on the same page, or at least I'm on yours....)

I havent gotten the pipes yet, but I love working on my quad so I want to learn this stuff =)

Well, these are only guestimates to get you somewhat close. You still have to dial it in after. Every shee is different depending on area and shee....Put some 300's in her and run it wot in 6th gear for 5-10 seconds, shut it down, coast to a stop, pull the plugs. This is how you adjust the mains and only the mains...Black is rich, brown is perfect, tan or white is lean....I'd try the stock pilot first and adjust the air screws to them..the air screws fine tune the pilots. You should notice a better throttle response. Start at .5 turn out from seated, and ride it. Now try it at 1 turn out from seated and ride it...try it at 1.5,2, and 2.5. Find the best position.....If your shee starts hard, the you might want to try a larger pilot (27.5) and readjust the air screws. Determine which pilot is best for YOUR shee....You might notice the throttle response better or worse w/ the larger pilot....Once you get that done, then try raising the needles by lowering the clip on them, you should notice night and day differences w/ the needles. Find the best position, you might have to change them a few times at different positions...Good luck and let us know what you come up w/... ;)