Jetting For Winter

bigboybanshee

Hi everyone! This is my first winter with the banshee and am curious as to how far up I should go on jetting. I currently have DG pipes, K&N w/stock airbox, stock carbs, reeds, etc..I'm runnin 290 mains right now and it runs great. How far up should I go in jets or can I bump the needle clip up a notch? Thanks a million in advance!!! :)

Depends on how cold it gets, typically you have about a 20 to 30-degree temp range where your mains are perfect; like 50-70 or 50-80 degrees F...so in this case when it gets colder than 50 just go up one size on the mains (leave the needle where it's at if it runs good from 1/4 to 3/4 throttle), and you might also need to adjust the airscrews in (richer) just a little for a clean idle and off-idle response. Finding the borderline is the hard part, if there's any doubt jet the mains a size larger, and as it gets warmer outside you'll notice it bogging at WOT, that's the temp you need to drop back down a size. Hope this helps, might be a little easier to understand in the Jetting FAQ

If your riding in 20 degree temps in the winter and 80 in the summer then your looking at 2-3 sizes....If 290's are perfect for summer, the I'd go 300's for fall and 310 for around 30 degrees out...320 for 10 degrees out....might like the richer needle, might not....try it out....

Thank you both for the info!!! VERY helpful! :) I would say the temp range it's best at would probably be between 60-90 right now. In Memphis, it usually doesn't get below 20-30 degrees so I'm guessing I would need to buy the next 2 bigger sized jets for safe measures. Hey Banchetta, if I were to do the airbox mod you talk about (1.5" off the lid) how many sizes would I need to go up on jets? Thanks so much!!!

Thank you both for the info!!! VERY helpful! :)  I would say the temp range it's best at would probably be between 60-90 right now. In Memphis, it usually doesn't get below 20-30 degrees so I'm guessing I would need to buy the next 2 bigger sized jets for safe measures. Hey Banchetta, if I were to do the airbox mod you talk about (1.5" off the lid) how many sizes would I need to go up on jets? Thanks so much!!!

I had to go up 2 sizes w/ my Pt mids...maybe 3 sizes for a high rev pipe....let me know if you do it and how much you had to go up... B)

Thanks guys!! I'm gonna try and pick up some jets this weekend, and hope to have them installed by the next weekend. I'm really leaning towards the airbox mod just to get that little extra umph on the shee. The pipes I'm running rev pretty high but not enough to really be called a high rev pipe. I'm guessing I'll just start with 2 sizes bigger jets and see what happens. I'll DEFINITELY let you guys know the results!! I can't thank you all enough, especially for getting back so quickly!!! THANKS AGAIN!!! :D