What octane?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a Banshee, I always recommend premium even though it sounds like you have a box stock engine and could get away wtih 87.  Premium is a higher grade of fuel and will resist oxidation better and will give you some safety margin against detonation on really hot days or when your engine might be extra hot. 

Premium also has much reduced Ethanol which is creating quite an issue lately with fuel quality.

Brandon

Mull Engineering

Last summer when I first bought my banshee I was running 91 octance with no ethanol that I can get from a local gas station. I was running it at a 28:1 ratio and it was always a pain to start, I haven't tried it since some of the fixes I've done so maybe I'll go get a few gallons. It's pretty cold around here right now, in the 30s so It never gets above 130F water temp and yes, it is a completely stock motor.

Thanks for the input

I have an 87 banshee that is coming up on a rebuild, 113 psi both sides, just wondering what octane I should run in it for now. I put 87 at a 20:1 mix because it was sitting for a couple months and I wasn't sure it had enough compression for 93.

Depending on elevation that 113 number might not be too bad. Unless you're looking to do motor upgrades Im not sure Id worry about that compression.

I'm at 400ft above sea level, There is some kind of knocking noise coming from the cylinders and I'm not sure what it is. I think it might be a wirst pin bearing althought I've heard a similar knocking from oter banshees I've seen on youtube. My banshee is pretty beat up, a few things are bent that I didn't notice when I bought it so I'm not sure if I want to keep it or not.

Edited by TroyBrock

im just fucking with you man, can only be so many things. that's what these guys and this sites for, a month ago I had never turned a wrench on one, but now ive broken it down twice. honestly if I would have listened to these guys it would have been once, and only once. you live you learn, but to go from a banshee to a blaster, well it would be like taking a shit and not wiping your ass, just wouldn't make sense lol. I say tear into that ole piece and find out!

I would check the clutch basket out to make sure the coushins are not shot. Hold the basket in one hand and try turning the gear on the back with the other. If there is play then its shot. Most of the time guys get a billet basket and bolt on the old gear.

Edited by jbooker82

I have to talk to my buddy and see what he can do about a bore and hone for me but until then I wanna hold off on taking it apart.

About the clutch, It feels good, I can almost let the clutch lever all the way out without it stalling, That's a good thing right? so I dont know if that would be any sign as to how these cushions are.