Misfire question?

89mustang

I just posted a few days ago I rebuilt my first top end. I took my time a d made sure everything was assembled correctly. I had the cylinders bored by fast and ported I also added a cool head. I finally had the time yesterday to finish putting it together. I put gas and coolant in it and kicked and kicked and kicked some more. It finally fired but then one cylinder dropped off. Then it was hard to start again. I pulled the plug and it has spark and the carb is getting gas. I took the carb off and cleaned everything because it was sitting for about 2 months since I took it apart. It took quite a few kicks until it fired up, both cylinders were firing the the same cylinder dropped off again. I pulled the plugs both were wet. I kicked it over a few times and it fired up fine both were firing then the same cylinder quit firing again. Any ideas?

Mods: v-force v4 reeds, adjustable timing plate set at +4, ported cylinders, cool head with 20cc domes, pro design air filter no lid, and t-5's

Jetting: 650' elevation 27.5 pilots, needle on third clip, 300 mains

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

check and double check all connections, grounds, switches,dielectric grease ain't a bad idea.. Ohm coil and caps. Try new plugs, even if they are new.

Using proper puller, remove flywheel and clean poles on stator, clean inside of flywheel, clean timing nubs on outside of f-wheel, set pick-up gap.

Because the Banshee uses a wasted spark it's hard to tell if each plug is fireing on compression, as they also fire at BDC.

Is TORS brain and parking brake disabled?

Edited by Larry's Shee

I've been messing with it since I got home. Swapped plug wires it didn't move. Tried a new plug didn't make any difference. The tors is still connected. Choke tube is intact and connected. I'll get the stuff tomorrow for a leak down test. It's incredibly hard to start. I'm done for the night ill check the carb synch as well. I've never used an ohm meter. I know what they are for though. The wife has to work a double tomorrow so ill have time

I've been messing with it since I got home. Swapped plug wires it didn't move. Tried a new plug didn't make any difference. The tors is still connected. Choke tube is intact and connected. I'll get the stuff tomorrow for a leak down test. It's incredibly hard to start. I'm done for the night ill check the carb synch as well. I've never used an ohm meter. I know what they are for though. The wife has to work a double tomorrow so ill have time

unplug the tors brain, unplug the parking brake switch.

are you sure the slides are not reversed? this was an issue in another thread. slides should have a higher cutaway on the air-filter side then the engine side. when installed reverse it will be hard to start and wont idle or run well. it will be super rich to the point of flooding and fouling plugs.

I haven't fully cleaned the carbs. I made sure the pilot was clean and the main jet. It was warmer it was October. The only thing that changed was the porting,new pistons,and cool head. I know it was going to have to be adjusted I just wanted to make sure everything was good before I changed the jetting. I appreciate all the help so far