Only right side gets hot

87bansheepnw

Can you audibly hear the motor firing in both cylinders?

Pull both carbs, disassemble them completely and clean every passage out with carb cleaner and compressed air.

Please use eye protection.

Even the best of us have had carb cleaner jet directly into an eyeball...

Make sure float height is 21+/-1mm.

floatheight.jpg

Are you sure the bowls are on the right carbs? They ARE different. The carb with the choke plunger (left side) has a small brass bb in the bottom side of the bowl. Behind this is a metering jet for flow through the choke tube between the two carbs. If the bowl is on wrong it will spit and pop and won't run worth a damn. This will cause symptoms very close to what you are describing. Make double sure about the float height mentioned above and be sure the bowls are on the right carbs then report back to us.

^^^ Excellent

That's another reason why I tell people to do one carb at a time...

To the OP, your sticking carb slide might also be that you inadvertantly swapped slides with carbs.

Double check that when you install the slides that the idle screw ramps are facing out and the grooves line up with the raised rib inside the carbs.

You may also want to check the reeds, they have given me trouble before. Even if the reeds look good, swap them anyway. I have purchased brand new reeds and once installed the left cylinder was not getting air. I swapped the reeds and the problem followed to the other side. Just saying....thats one more thing to check. 

^^^ Indeed.

I'm almost willing to bet it is a reed problem, especially if it happened after riding, but wouldn't that cylinder not have good compresion if the reed was broke, or is my thinking off?

Also to the OP, make sure and do your comp checks with the throttle fully open.

You can chek the reeds by removing the carbs and having a look at them from the rear of the bike.

i feel like a moron lol, the one carb was only getting fuel half of the time, the line was being pinched and my petcock was clogged, runs good now, my slides are still sticking at times, im rerouting the cable now to see if it helps. btw i have a twist throttle (yuck)

atleast you posted back with an outcome. Alot of people after going thru much trouble shooting realize its something stupid and they never post back cause they dont want to say what the real issue was. the slide issue may fix itself after the fuel mix lubricates that slide again. After cleaning my carbs well i had sticky slides also.