Where to wire in a kill button into wiring?

TWILES

I bought a yz kill button thinking I could figure it out. I'm lost. Splicing both wires into the key wires didn't work. I thought it kept the circuit connected but it keeps it broken. I tried splicing one button wire into the key wires with an in line splicer and grounding the other and that didn't work either. I'm not good with electricity at all. Need help.

I should've elaborated more. Every unneeded wire for it to run is gone. I read the electrical post and I don't have those wire. I do still have the lighting wires and voltage reg but coming from the cdi are the key wires and coil only. Is there a way to use the key wires?

you can buy two diffrent styles of kill switches/tethers normally open, and normally closed. To use the key switch wires as a kill you'll need the one that is closed circuit and opens it when pushed. (normally closed)

that will work but from what ive read it wil cause damage to the electrics, you dont want to ground the power. you could use the engine stop wire from cdi (black/white wire on diagram) to that switch then to ground for a kill switch when pushed with the switch you have or use the normally closed switch to both key wires as mentioned.

Again, I don't understand wiring very well. I took a picture of a "drag" harness that was on eBay a while back to compare what colors I could see to what I have. Low and behold, the two wires coming out labeled kill switch are black/white and black. Thanks again. Too cold in the garage to un tape the whole thing and start over. I'll get it tomorrow. I'm grateful

• 4 weeks later...

if using a dirt bike kill switch  use the black/white stripe and a chassis ground.   the red/black needs to be grounded to run. ( key switch)  

the lighting wiring and regulator are all separate system to the ignition  even the stator is seperatley wound.