Fresh rebuild, left cylinder missing

jacowils

After a long few hours of troubleshooting i cant seem to figure out whats causing the left cylinder to miss. Double and triple checked everthing seemingly.. and i am just stumped at this point. The only thing is when i give it a little throttle it bogs down big time but its only the left cylinder.. And yes i checked it has spark and i put on two perfectly funtional coils with the same result. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

Leakdown test! if its sucking air on that side it may not be getting enough fuel. look over intake boots for cracks or tears make sure crossover tube is seated well. look at your reeds maybe swap them see if the condition switches sides. boost bottles are notorious for causing too much pressure on the intake and creating cracks.

I checked the intake boots really good before installing them and they were good. I guess i may have possibly cracked it when tightening the clamp down to secure the carb to the boot? it I also didn't have the crossover tube all the way down into the boot and i secured it and clamped it and i was still missing. The weirdest part of all is when i tried both coils i had the same result but when i switched the spark plugs boots the left side was firing but it was still boggy when i gave it a little throttle, this may be partly due to the fact that its 27 degrees in my garage this morning in the middle of a michigan weather so clearly it wasn't warmed up.

So just to recap, swapping plug wires resulted in it firing on the previously missing cylinder? Assuming this made the other cylinder start missing then?You swapped coils. Did these coils have wires already on them or did you swap wires over to the other coil to try? Have you tested stator?

No i swapped coils and had the same result but when i just switched the wires to the opposite spark plug the left cylinder fired and the right was missing, it did that with both coils and no i have no checked the stator yet. Im not sure this still explains the bogging when i give it throttle

Just to clarify i have two separate coils with wire attached i didn't cut and reattach wires i just pulled the whole coil wires and all out and put the other one in to see if that whole unit was bad and had the same result. I just pulled the boots off the spark plugs and switched them and the left fired and right missed, hope this clarifies my previous wording

What im trying to say is when i have the left spark plug wire/boot hooked up to the left cylinder and the right spark plug wire hooked up to the right cylinder (how its supposed to be) the left cylinder misses. But when i hook the left spark plug wire/boot to the right cylinder and the right spark plug wire/boot to the left cylinder the right cylinder misses. It does this no matter which of the two coils i use. And also bogs out when i give it throttle but will idle fine minus the fact that one cylinder is missing

do you have stock carbs? stock airbox?

if not swap the carbs between sides, also try it without a air cleaner.  I had a bad outterwear that acted like a plastic bag and starved the motor for air. 

if stock carbs,  make sure the bowls are on the correct side, and the chock tube is in.