No Spark after new motor install

Newcs222

I own a 1987 Banshee. The bottom end rod bearing gave out on me so I decided to just buy a complete motor, something newer. I got a motor from a 2005 Shee and slapped it in the frame. I noticed the stator harness was different so I swapped the stator from my 87 motor. Put oil, anti-freeze, and fuel in and kicked the shit out of it. Pullled a plug and found I was getting no spark. Tested the stator and got all the rights resistances. Tested the coil and got .6 ohms on the primary side and 5.6k ohms on the secondary(plug cap to plug cap). I have tested the voltage out of the stator and i get around 3 volts between the yellow and black wire when i kick it over. Do you think its the CDI box at this point. I don't have a spare to test with and don't want to buy a new one if thats not the reason. Also when i had the motor out I spray painted the frame but didn't take any of the components off, just tapped them. I don't know what to do next. Any suggestions? Thanks. By the way the Tors has been removed.

Your pickup coil gap should be set at .017 on both nubs. CDI ground is near cdi and there is another ground near Coil. Engine grounds are the bolts.

http://www.dfn.com/agservices/elecfaq.html has all the info on the electrical system and testing.

Your pickup coil gap should be set at .017 on both nubs. CDI ground is near cdi and there is another ground near Coil. Engine grounds are the bolts.

http://www.dfn.com/agservices/elecfaq.html has all the info on the electrical system and testing.

Thickness of a business card will be close if you dont have a set of guages. Just slide a busineds card in there an adlust the gap.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I adjusted the air gap. It was way too big. Could have fit 3 cards in. But I still have no spark! Any other suggestions?

Do you think the cdi failed due to the rod bearing giving out? The right jug on the older motor had pieces of bearing welded to it.

Mechanical failure wouldn't effect electrical components like that. test the on off switch and key switch if installed for continuity. if key switch has been bypassed make sure the splices are good. did you check the coil ground? and make sure coil wires are plugged in and making contact.

Mechanical failure wouldn't effect electrical components like that. test the on off switch and key switch if installed for continuity. if key switch has been bypassed make sure the splices are good. did you check the coil ground? and make sure coil wires are plugged in and making contact.

Ive done continuity tests on both switches. They're good. I don't see anywhere to ground the coil. Is there supposed to be three wires off the coil? Its got a black wire that runs into the harness. Its taped up pretty good. Is that the ground for the coil? Where does that ground at?

have you tested the orange coil wire while kicking it over to see if you get any power to it? did you paint the frame under where the coil bolts in? i know you said tors was removed but is the box unplugged?

have you tested the orange coil wire while kicking it over to see if you get any power to it? did you paint the frame under where the coil bolts in? i know you said tors was removed but is the box unplugged?

Okay i have spark now. I had to take the wiring harness apart and re-wire it. It had a bunch ob butt splices i got rid of and soldered. Now my problem is it won't start. I've been kicking it over for the past 2 hours and nothing. Flooded it for a bit. Any ideas. I will probably try and pul it behind my truck if i have to. The only problem with that is a live in the city. lol.

I had brand new plugs in at the time. Pulled then out and gave it a few kicks. Dried the plugs off and tried to start again. Still nothing! My plugs only seem to have a weak spark. And they don't spark everytime. Where is a good place to run a piece of wire to ground the case to the chassis?

I had brand new plugs in at the time. Pulled then out and gave it a few kicks. Dried the plugs off and tried to start again. Still nothing! My plugs only seem to have a weak spark. And they don't spark everytime. Where is a good place to run a piece of wire to ground the case to the chassis?

Mine just did this weak random spark shit and it was the plug wire and caps. Changed them and bam we were back in action