whats the best way to paint my frame and a arms with a rattle can

Aaron109

I dont wanna go like completely cheap though I want it to be durable and look good and llast awhile

Nothing from the hardware store.<br />PC or a professionally prepared auto paint will yield better results over hardware store rattle can.

I would take Sprinkles advice then. Take your frame and have it sand blasted so you are down to bare metal.

There are paint stores where you can have any color you choose put into a rattle can.

Paint prep is also very important. Go to the paint store and pick out a color you like and while you're there, ask their advice on prep.

That route won't be "completely cheap" and should last ok. But as already stated, PC is tougher than paint any day of the week, especially for a trail bike that is gonna get heavily abused.

Wipe everything down with wax/grease remover or hot soapy water. usually if your frame is nasty i will opt for the water with a pressure washer. Blow all the nooks and crannys out with an airhose to make sure its dry. Then use red scotchbrite to scuff everything down. This lets the paint have something to stick to. Then wipe it down again with wax/grease remover, aka prep solvent. Blow it off again. Then paint.

Dont forget to cut the unwanted tabs off the frame to make it look a little better and ise a little primer on the bare metal before the scuff stage

Prep properly, then use either POR15 or a good self etching primer, the topcoat with 2 coats of implement enamel (get it at tractor supply or any farm store).

Powder is pretty, but all my buddies that powdered their frames/a arms are look like shit after a few rides and you can't touch it up like you can with paint. Por15 and implement enamel are as tough as paint gets. I'd rather put the money saved towards motor/suspension mods. 

• Like 1

Prep properly, then use either POR15 or a good self etching primer, the topcoat with 2 coats of implement enamel (get it at tractor supply or any farm store).

Powder is pretty, but all my buddies that powdered their frames/a arms are look like shit after a few rides and you can't touch it up like you can with paint. Por15 and implement enamel are as tough as paint gets. I'd rather put the money saved towards motor/suspension mods. 

If your buddies frames look like shit after a few rides, they need a new PC guy.

Paint every damn thing on the machine flat black, (pipes, plastics, tires, rims, grips, cables, filters, brake rotors, motor, chain, the works! Fuck masking anything, just blast it all in black) then tell everyone you were going for that totally played out "Murdered Out" look.

Then be Oh So original and when you get tired of plain black (Or need to cover up some drips from your endless touch-ups) slap some Monster stickers on it. Later you can paint your hubs green to match

Then…..you can go nuts painting a bunch of stuff green. (Like your plastic stator side cover, your seat cover or anything else that comes to mind.)

Then a year later (After your motor burn down) you can list the rolling heap on Craigslist and we can advise the next owner on how to strip all that crap off and go for something nicer than the Road Warrior look.