98 Shee Buildup Questions

64xracer

I just bought an all stock 1998 shee. I rode it for a day or two and decided to make it faster. My problem is that I have never really been around 2 strokes very much. I started by removing the TORS, and I removed the head and milled it down (I work in a machine shop) .042" that dropped the cc's from 24 to 20.8. I replaced the stock head gasket with one from cometic (.010 thick) and I have bought a set of toomy T-5's. What is the best air filter to run??? I want to completly remove the air box, should I get some K&N's that clamp right to the carbs or is there something better?? I am gonna ride this bike mainly at the dunes (waynoka, ok) but I will occasionly trail ride it here (salina, kansas) I have installed some 270 main jets, do ya think they will be too small for starters?? What should I do with the pilot and the bleeds?? I also plan to get an adjustable stator, and a cool head when I get some more $$$ saved up. Any comments about what the hell I am doing wrong would be appricated!!! Also any go fast ideas???? Thank you

I just bought an all stock 1998 shee.  I rode it for a day or two and decided to make it faster.  My problem is that I have never really been around 2 strokes very much.  I started by removing the TORS, and I removed the head and milled it down (I work in a machine shop) .042" that dropped the cc's from 24 to 20.8.  I replaced the stock head gasket with one from cometic (.010 thick) and I have bought a set of toomy T-5's.  What is the best air filter to run???  I want to completly remove the air box, should I get some K&N's that clamp right to the carbs or is there something better??  I am gonna ride this bike mainly at the dunes (waynoka, ok) but I will occasionly trail ride it here (salina, kansas)  I have installed some 270 main jets, do ya think they will be too small for starters??  What should I do with the pilot and the bleeds??  I also plan to get an adjustable stator, and a cool head when I get some more $$$ saved up.  Any comments about what the hell I am doing wrong would be appricated!!!  Also any go fast ideas????  Thank you

Work it baby, work it!!! You might want to run a mix of race fuel. Shaving the stock head that much is a lot and might preignite on pump gas...If you don't ride in any mud, then get the clamp on filters (2)...Your jetting will be too lean w/ the small separate K&N's...Start w/ 330 mains, try different needle positions, adjust air screw, you might need a larger pilot (27.5). Can't get you any certain answers, everyone seems to come up w/ a totally different jetting when it comes to Toomeys..... <_<

You might want to get different reeds to add to your list...

I run vp C-12 so there won't be a problem there. What kind of reeds to you all suggest??? Is there any other kind of air filter avalible that I can still remove the air box?? I saw an add about a uni 2 into 1 filter but it said you still had to have the box....and I don't really want that.

I run vp C-12 so there won't be a problem there.  What kind of reeds to you all suggest???  Is there any other kind of air filter avalible that I can still remove the air box??  I saw an add about a uni 2 into 1 filter but it said you still had to have the box....and I don't really want that.

You can get the toomey 2 into 1 intake....removes the stock air box...

yep i have a toomey 2-1 intake no air box!! and it worked great i switched to clamp on k/ns and id sell it for 25.00 has a foam filter this is actually off of an rz i think?? also go to at least boyesen 2-stage reeds preferably carbon fiber i ride at waynoka and recentlly switched back to stock carbs/ mod reeds, stock intakes i can set u up with some flowed reed cages and i also have a set of v-force for 175 also if you are running that gas wack the lip all the way off the head im not sure what that will cc at but it works really good also look into an impeller for the dunes... i may have seen you down there i drag most of the time but do trail a lot....

oh almost forgot dont buy one of those stupid cool heads you dont need it and it will actually make your bike run hotter!! for a head i guess check the noss machine heads or a trinity i HIGHLY recomend a trinity..