Milling Stock Head worth the money?

sootman73

I searched numerous times for a thread on this but i mostly get coolhead vs stock. (i don't have the money to buy a coolhead) I am having Jeff @ FAST do a Woods port for me soon and i wanted to know if milling the head would be worth the money? I want to run pump gas but would like to bump the compression up a bit. 

What compression is safe for premium (91-93) gas?

What is a safe amount to mill to not hurt squish?

Thanks guys

Guess the best way to answer that is for you to tell us what they want to mill your stock head? You can buy a used cool head for pretty cheap so my first thought is no it is not worth cutting you stock one. 

If you have him do it, get the domes rechambered as well as the milling. He'll, that might even be what he is doing but I doubt it. But really you would be better off with an aftermarket head, however there's nothing wrong with a properly set up stocker.(I could only keep my big bore sealed up with a modified stock head.) You should find one used and maybe get Jeff to cut you domes for it.

My .02

A milled stock head is only worthwhile on an unported cylinder. Remember the dome design is 25+ years old. Max is .025 to .030. A squish test before hand will tell.

Now a rechambered head is worthwhile. It is my preference on a stock cylinder. No fuckin orings. Mull engineering did mine for about a 100 bucks.