Coolhead Dome selection

onlyonelife79

So. What are the main factors in selecting the correct domes. I am currently running 4mill standard bore, 22cc domes, 28mm PWK's. I've yet to rip the carbs open to inspect the jet/needles. Previous owner ran 50/50 blend. Bike runs great and has no issues, one kicker every time, rips great through all gears, but I want to know I'm going through it and making sure its right. <two stroke newbie. Thanks all.

Trial and error lol. Pick up a set smaller, 21's or 20's. install them, run a compression test and a squish band test(some solder or gum placed in between the cylinder head and piston,  rolled over TDC, measure it with a micrometer). Go from there. Probably just have to throw timing and more alcohol and bigger jets at it.

Builders don't just answer the phone and give you all the answers or theyd be out of a job. That's what forums are for.

A lot of mis-information ,,,that's what forums can be for too.  That's why you call a builder and they set you up with what is good,or they have to make it good.  People on forums can just spout off whatever regurgitated info they have ,,good or bad...who's going to be able to hold them responsible?

Take your pick.

• Like 1

Trial and error lol. Pick up a set smaller, 21's or 20's. install them, run a compression test and a squish band test(some solder or gum placed in between the cylinder head and piston, rolled over TDC, measure it with a micrometer). Go from there. Probably just have to throw timing and more alcohol and bigger jets at it.

So, trial and error? That's not the advise I expected from a pro tech like your self. That sounds more like a "parts changer" to me. And gum? That in the service manual?
  • Like 1

haha  

there are "formulas" that work with 2 stroke domes.  and the banshee being as well known  and trial'd and errore'd its easy to get a proper set up.   hint hint  PD shelf domes only the 22 and 21cc are really worth a crap.   the 17cc has the worst shape and width i have ever seen.  even the programs i have seen you can put in a totally wrong shape  adn it will say its ok.  so even those can be way off.    if you think the top builders here DIDNT learn from trial and error your totally wrong.