New guy, Dune and Trail Banshee

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like Serval 4mm or 10mm is way to go. The porting on 2 strokes is Greek to me. Can you port for more top end power, or more low down torque?

What other tips or tricks are there? Timing keys?

And what are we looking at cash wise? To build a ported motor, crank, heads, pistons? What intakes are prefered? For example on the Raptor, FCI is way to go on intake.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Pacific Barbarian

Bottom line is, you really shouldn't build a Trail/Dune bike out of one Banshee.

You're better off building a Duner out of the Banshee and keeping your Raptor as a trail bike, cause in reality, that's what they really are anyway...

Aftermarket cylinders are going to run you ~$800 whether they are 4mil, 10mil, Serval or Cub.

A 4mil HotRods crank is ~$400

A 10mil Crank is double that and then some cause I don't think there is a forged 10mil crank so you have to go billet, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Plus for a 4mil or a 10 mil stroker you'll definitely need more supporting mods, ie., larger reed cages, larger intakes, larger carbs, new pipes, new clutch and depending on 4mil or 10mil, you probably need a lock-up clutch for the 10mil, oh and a head with custom domes for the extra stroke of both the 4mil or 10mil.

Not sure what kind of a budget you have, because $$$ can get out of line, really, really fast...

My 02 is going to be my Trail Banshee with a MotoX port good for 60-65rwhp.

My 87 wil be a 4mil Dune Port stock cylinder Duner good for 75-80rwhp.

Its expensive... like said above expect to have

Top end complete $1200-1800

Crank $450-1200

Carbs reeds intakes $600-800

Pipes $600-800

Clutch trans etc $300-1000 or more

The list goes on and on plan on $3000-6000 depending what you want by the time you get it to your house and running.

Sounds like Serval 4mm or 10mm is way to go. The porting on 2 strokes is Greek to me. Can you port for more top end power, or more low down torque? What other tips or tricks are there? Timing keys? And what are we looking at cash wise? To build a ported motor, crank, heads, pistons? What intakes are prefered? For example on the Raptor, FCI is way to go on intake. Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

if you are really going to roll with a reputable builder, you would do well to run components they suggest, if you want to try and save cash by using things like stepped timing keys over an adjustable timing plate it may well cost you more in the long run...

Many thanks for all the replies and advice. I really appreciate it. This has helped a lot and now its a clear case of I need to do a lot more reading and educate myself with the Banshee. Just from this thread I now know in which direction I need to be searching.

I realise that the Banshee torques totally different to what I am used to. But my local trails are wide open most places. And, want to get a Banshee as part of the Yamaha quad collection. The Banshee will be number 4. But dont just want any old Shee!:)

Yes, these things are money pits. I have spent sick amounts on my Raptor, another half sick amount on the wifes Raptor 350, in the middle of a project Raptor of the moment, almost halfway spending money on it. So I know how it goes.

I have been looking locally and can get Banshees between $2800 and $3800. For the latter they come in pristine condition lightly modified, mostly suspension mods.

The plan is to get a nice one, and then drop about $10 000 into it in total. Thats the plan anyway, we all know how it goes. Never ends there.

But I will keep my eyes wide open on here, get to know the place and the people and eventually get into contact with a Site Sponsor. I have had great dealings with site sponsors on other forums, you soon realise who are the go to guys.

This forum is kick ass btw!

Once again, many thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

Here are a couple dyno rips of different set-ups found here in the Dyno Room Forum.

http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showforum=55&prune_day=100&sort_by=Z-A&sort_key=last_post&topicfilter=all

Redline Racing 4mil stk cyl dune port pump gas.

http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=148961

Redline Racing as cast 421 Serval vs. ported Serval.

http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=150211

Cruise the suspension forums too.

http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showforum=39

^^^ These things make sick power!Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

Yep, that's why I'm building a 4mil pump gas dune port stk cyl as my Duner and save myself the $800 price tag for aftermarket cylinders.

At 64.5-65mm bore it's a 379-385cc 4mil stk cyl.

Here's what you get from FAST for a 421 Serval.

$1723 + $350 for porting.

So ~$2100.

http://www.farmandsandtoys.com/partdetail.asp?partid=403

For ~$800 less you can have a 4mil stk cyl making ~80rwhp.

But if $$$ is no object, get the 4mil Serval.