Driving to Glamis from the east coast

Has anyone else ever drove to Glamis from the east coast? MapQuest shows 2400 miles and 35 hours from Raleigh, NC. We are planning on coming the week of Thanksgiving. I'm bringing my Banshee and 2 other friends are coming bringing a 450r and a 400ex. I've been twice before but it was while I was in San Diego for the week and I just drove out and rented from a place in Yuma. This year we want to bring our own bikes. Looks like it will be cheaper to drive and ride our own bikes then it would be to fly out and rent bikes. I just have a few questions:

Parts- Where can I get parts for my banshee in the dunes if something was to break? is there anywhere? If not, what should I bring with me other then a bag of spark plugs?

Gas- 2 of the bikes we are bringing must run 110 octane. Is there anywhere in the area we can get it?

Registration- Since we are from NC, Would we need any kind of registration for our bikes other then the dune pass?

Is there anywhere else to get firewood in the area that isn't $25 a load?

Has anyone else made the drive across the county to ride this place? I've always wanted to do it and I think the drive out would be as fun as the ride there.

I don't have a camper to take. I have a 4door sierra that we are going to take and pull a small trailer with 2 bikes on it, and the other bike in the back. I was looking online and found a place where you can rent campers on site. May be doing that.

now if there are other people in my area who want to go in on a rental camper or something and pull a bigger trailer and drive out, I would be down for that too

You should be able to find firewood at some gas stations in the area. Be ready for boarder patrol check points, dont pick up hitch hickers. Bring lots of tools.

You're going to have a blast. When driving through Texas, dont stop at a steakhouse, keep driving till you see In-n-Out Burgers, thats where you want to eat.

Kd cycles in yuma is a good place if you need parts. Good people there. they helped me out last season. There is also a yamaha dealer there too. Both places sell 110 i believe. Saw the barrels but didn't look at the labels.

TON!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like others have said, parts are available in venders row, firewood is available in venders row/glamis beach store/when you need to go to Bradley for race fuel ( not available at dunes, it's not supported to be used out there) so keep your jugs under cover and all fuel is to be in red jugs only. If I remember correctly as long as your current registration is valid then your good, but might need to double check that. Don't forget to get a use permit, huge fine if you don't, runs about $40@week. Good luck on your trip.

Thanks for all the info. The trailer we are pulling is pretty small. it will barley fit 2 bikes if you put them sideways. Will bring extra tires for sure. We don't have registration on atvs here in NC so hope that's not a problem. So the gas needs to be in red jugs? That's crazy. All I have is the white VP jugs. Guess i'll need to go buy some red ones. I didn't know race gas wasn't suppose to be used out there, do they ever check that stuff?

Yes the Rangers are dicks out there. I think its a 100 fine if your gas in not in a California approved gas can. I will take a pic of mine when I get home. Plus they take your gas. Glamis is no fun no more with all the regulations they have now. I stop going 2 years ago because of all the bullshit they are coming up with. Well have fun.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Edited by 10milmike

did this from nyc to cali and back, but went to pismo and dumont instead.  bunch of other places too.  i would suggest buying a box trailer and selling it when u get back.  its hard enough finding places to stay where the trailer wont get stolen, i cant even imagine with a quad sitting in the bed of a pickup.  plan your trip so u do like 10 hrs driving tops per day, and pick a place you want to check out as a stopping point.  also, once u get to cali, prepare to be in the slow lane while turbodiesels towing toyhaulers blow by you doing like 100 lol.  i did this with my denali and a box trailer with 2 banshees.  one of the most fun trips i have done.  make sure you have a spare for the trailer.  also that steakhouse in texas is fun lol.  enjoy

What's the name of that steakhouse in Texas I keep hearing about?  Also, I think we are going to drive straight through. No hotels or anything. We have 3 people. One driving, one sleeping in the back, and one keeping the driver awake. We are going to rotate. We made it back from Tacoma, WA to Raleigh in 2.5 days doing it like this...and we broke down 3 times. One of those times had to replace a front wheel hub/bearing on the side of the road.