421 cub squish

apeik

• 2 weeks later...

Upon closer inspection, my pistons i ran for maybe 5 +/- hours in the cylinders before i got them replated are pretty much wrecked.  guess the ''ready to run'' cylinders weren't so ready to run.  New set of pistons on the way.  Anyone ever seen them wear so quick/bad across the intake bridge?

IMAG0761_zps2dfeed3b.jpg

well damn, never had pistons look this bad after 40 hours in a steel bore and being run to death.  Guess the nikasil is just really hard on aluminum.  The pistons are already on the way, so i guess ill just keep the old one's for backup's.  Just concerned me with the massive wear on the bottom corners of the skirts(piston rocking), and the flat spot across the intake bridge on one.  Oddly one piston looks quite a bit better than the other.  Learned something new though, thanks for all the input guy's.  

Also i ended up using a dgk needle with my new 35 pwk's last time because that's the only way it would run even close to right on the vp q16, but on pump gas im thinking about starting out at 162main, cel 4th clip, 48 pilot when i get it back together as a starting point. Last time i could never get it jetted right no matter what i tried im guessing because of detonation and the domes.

m67, the wear was from before the replate, the fresh cylinders are still sitting on the bench waiting for be wiped down with 2stroke oil, i already washed them out with soap and water and put new water jacket plugs and put the studs back in.  They had to be pretty egg shaped before, you could hear the piston slapping at idle, i think it's time to buy a bore gauge so i know for sure next time.

Clean the bore with brake cleaner before assembly.

then use dextron atf on a white lint free cloth and wipe out the cylinder till it stops leaving trace on the cloth.

then clean it again with brake cleaner to remove atf.

the atf is great at pulling crud out of the pores.