421 cub squish

apeik

Got the top end together today, checked squish by putting solder across piston/putting head on turning it over.  Ended up with .051-.053 squish, and 130/130.5 cold un-broken in cranking psi.  Guessing this should go up to around 138-140 after break in...  Supposed to be 100% 91 octane motor, does this all sound reasonable?

IMAG0768_zps7610f7eb.jpg

so, i got this thing running, it runs way better than it ever has.  I have a jetting question(brand new 35mm pwks) i started with 162 mains, cel middle clip, 48 pilot, and it ran pretty decent.  Two questions really, no matter what pilot i have in it, when i stab the throttle it cuts out and kinda bogs and will sometimes actually die if you keep it pinned Unless i have the the airscrews 1/2 turns out.  I went up to a 50 pilot, and also tried a 55 just to run it up but it's the same no matter which pilots i use, it will rev out clean but kinda rough as long as the airscrew's are run in to 1/2 a turn, any further out and it cuts out when you stab it.  I have 50's in it right now which should be damn close at 1 1/2 turns out.  I have also tried CEL needles in the middle, and 4th clip(richer) and DGK needles in the middle and 4th clip.  I have yet to try one clip lean on either set of needles.

This pretty much ties into my second problem(this is with 160-162 mains, CEL middle or 4th clip, 50 pilots half turn out, sea level san diego, pump gas, 24cc domes), which is when you roll on the throttle right before powerband it hangs up for maybe quarter of a second or more, or maybe i should say, Delays, then smashes into the powerband and runs awesome.  It doesnt seem right that i need to keep the airscrews so far in which makes it richer at idle.  Also it delays before powerband even with the airscrews half a turn out.  

Im pretty sure the two problems are tied together somehow, only thing i havn't tried is 2nd clip on either set of needles.  Going to the DGK in the 4th clip made it much worse(richer needle and clip).

Sorry for the wall of text, and thanks to anyone who has any input.

i have 48,50,52,55, 68... you really think i could end up with a pilot that fat?  leak down test passed with flying color's, it's synced.  Also should note i tried 158,160,162 mains, with the 158's in it pulls the hardest, but i dont have room at my shop to do an actual plug chop.

it seems to be a problem when the throttle is actually pinned which makes me think main, but going down didn't help, so maybe ill go up.  my ported stock cylinder motor with 28pwk's was at 155-158 mains, with 68 pilots...(builder gave them to me by mistake i think) and i just put them in, bike took like 10 mins to warm up but ran like a seweing machine for a whole season.

The carbs are basically brand new from jeff at fast a few month's ago, only ran it once before i tore it down.  Running a dual pingle and all that jazz, floats i checked out of the box and were perfect.  Timing is set at +3 at the moment, and when i first put it together last week cold and fresh it was 130 psi in each hole, so imagine it'll be going up.  I know it's not gonna have much bottom end, it just has literally a flat spot were it hangs right before powerband going from quarter throttle to wide open, then screams.  Gonna mess with it more today, and move to a 52 or 55 pilot, cel middle then one clip lean, with 158 mains.  If that fails im going to go richer on the main by a bunch and see what changes.  With a 50 pilot, 162 main, cel middle clip if was damn close, but had that flat spot, and i know from last year it will make riding it in the dunes difficult.  I could ride around perfectly fine below half throttle and it would pull me around awesome, but if i hit that dead spot you'd basically have to rap it out or clutch it past that point into the powerband.  Ill also see if i have some 60 pilots and try that at some point .  This is supposed to be ported by passion, i know it's not stock, the port hights werent messed with, but the port shapes are a little different, and ive heard sometimes ported cubs like leaner jetting to some extent.

sittin at 60 pilots 1 turn out on the airscrew, cel on the 4th clip, 158 mains, appears to run pretty good, will get to run it a little later at 5pm.  It appears to have richen'd up the main quite a bit moving to such a big pilot.  Im afraid to go any smaller on the main though, 158 seems small when most everyone says they run 160-162.  I've read of a few people with ported cubs all the way down to a 152, but i dont wanna burn it down, i need to find somewhere close that i can do a plug chop, since im in a business park in a populated area.  Anyone had a ported cub that ended up being jetted this way?  I've spent probably upwards of 20 hours searching and reading.  

I had a similar situation with my cub on pump gas. Same problem with the hesitation just before getting on the pipe. I went from 55 pilots all the way down to 48's and from 165 mains on down to 158. Absolutely no change.

I figured it was the used domes I bought from someone on here.

Soon its gonna get a Wildcard port job and custom domes from Brandon.