Ammo reloading help

tdod101

Get your self a reloading book like this

817644DA-BD5D-4E45-A8BA-964EFFB7D892-115

Reloading can be very dangerous if you don't know what your. If u don't use the right powder or grain of powder if you head spacing is wrong your bullet seating depth is wrong u can be holding a grenard in your hand. I have this book and it tell u the whys and the how's of reloading,also if u can go talk with somebody at a reloading store or someone who sells supply's..

• Like 1

Get a good book if you have no idea on reloading.

Different calibers use different powders. Different bullet manufactures use different measurements of powder even on the same bullet weight. Need to know about bullet seating, case length, correct primers.

There is quite a bit to it, research

I dont disagree with anything that has been said really but before we send him out buying books and components lets figure out what his goal is and what he has.  A lot of people think its a good idea to reload and then quickly find out that unless you shoot a lot you arent going to save a dime. Trust me, its as bad as a banshee, today some free components next thing you know you turn around and you have 6 presses set up and about a billion different components and tools.  He got some free stuff but it doesnt mean any of it is any good to him and may end up costing him a bunch of money.  I absolutely agree that if you know somebody who reloads, some hands on experience is worth its weight in gold.

Yes you need a press.  The type of press depends on what you are doing.  I use progressive presses for reloading pistol, shotgun and non precision long gun.  For my precision stuff, i still mostly single stage load.  It takes longer but im not loading volumes and volumes of rounds and i feel i get a better final product.  Single stage reloading is also much easier to do when you are working up a load or experimenting with different loads.  Here is the thing with reloading, you absolutely can save a ton of money IF you shoot a lot.  For reference, i can load FMJ 223 for about 11 cents a round, and i load varmint loads for about 25 cents a piece.  Thats paying retail for the components. Compare that to what you pay in the store.  I also swage my own rifle bullets and cast my own lead pistol bullets.  Its a hobby and i enjoy it, so the cost of the equipment is factored into that for me.  And i dont consider the cost for my time because again its a hobby.  Thats why i stated earlier that if the motivator to reload is money, just quit before you start.  It can takes thousands and thousands of rounds to recover the initial cost of all the reloading equipment.  There are other reasons to reload, it all  depends on how serious you are.  Accuracy is a big one.  My personal opinion it doesnt matter much in a handgun, but in a rifle the difference can be amazing.  The other thing is availability.  I can buy and store components to load tens of thousands of rounds.  When there is a panic buy like has been going on the last 8 months or so, i dont have to freak out like everybody else.  When i need ammo i just go make it.  Attention to detail is key and if you fuck up you will blow shit up.  Ive seen it done, thank god ive never done it.

Yes you need a press. The type of press depends on what you are doing. I use progressive presses for reloading pistol, shotgun and non precision long gun. For my precision stuff, i still mostly single stage load. It takes longer but im not loading volumes and volumes of rounds and i feel i get a better final product. Single stage reloading is also much easier to do when you are working up a load or experimenting with different loads. Here is the thing with reloading, you absolutely can save a ton of money IF you shoot a lot. For reference, i can load FMJ 223 for about 11 cents a round, and i load varmint loads for about 25 cents a piece. Thats paying retail for the components. Compare that to what you pay in the store. I also swage my own rifle bullets and cast my own lead pistol bullets. Its a hobby and i enjoy it, so the cost of the equipment is factored into that for me. And i dont consider the cost for my time because again its a hobby. Thats why i stated earlier that if the motivator to reload is money, just quit before you start. It can takes thousands and thousands of rounds to recover the initial cost of all the reloading equipment. There are other reasons to reload, it all depends on how serious you are. Accuracy is a big one. My personal opinion it doesnt matter much in a handgun, but in a rifle the difference can be amazing. The other thing is availability. I can buy and store components to load tens of thousands of rounds. When there is a panic buy like has been going on the last 8 months or so, i dont have to freak out like everybody else. When i need ammo i just go make it. Attention to detail is key and if you fuck up you will blow shit up. Ive seen it done, thank god ive never done it.

This pretty much nails it. Good info.

• 1 month later...

Need to know what you plan on reloading. There are tons of YouTube vids on how to reload and set up presses and dies. Buy several reloading books and read read read. Join snipershide forum and read on their reloading section there's tons of info there and stickies on step by step instructions. It's a fun hobby.

my old boy been reloading shit for over 20 years, not completely without incident either, one was a tube of primers slipped out of his hand and in process of catching it he slammed the tube on the table...the whole lot went off....shrapnel in with hand...needed surgery

he was lucky he didn`t blow off a finger really

• 4 months later...

my old boy been reloading shit for over 20 years, not completely without incident either, one was a tube of primers slipped out of his hand and in process of catching it he slammed the tube on the table...the whole lot went off....shrapnel in with hand...needed surgery

he was lucky he didn`t blow off a finger really

lol years ago my uncle dropped a bunch of primers and bbs loading shotgun shells. well he thought a kirby would clean up the mess. boy that vacuum had it coming!