Keep Hearing A Ting?

gattaca37

:angry: Here is how it came about: Riding mx track, hit jump and the chain came off (did not smack case but wrapped around sprocket hub). Put back on to go tighten and heard a tinging.

Thought it was the flywheel, timing, pistons, circlips, wristpin bearings, rod, rod bearings; it was not. Fired her up and as she idled there by herself I listend around the clutch cover. Oh yeah, it is in here I said. Saw that the lock ring was destroyed (the old ring is a hex). Bought a new one from dealer (round ring), they said it would work. Put it on and the clutch boss was too loose. SO I took the old hex one and put that on 1st and then the round one, then nutted them done. There was very little slop, I think where it is suppose to be . Looked at the inside gears there and made sure everything was good. Looked at the impeller, fired up engine to listen and look . Not there, maybe inside tranny? She was still tinging. WHatever it is it does a complete rotation then tings on something ( either out of line or something is in the way, something is hitting something else and I don't know). Tell me what you guys think, maybe it could be something else or I looked over one of these things? Thanks

you can take a screwdriver and hold the point to different areas of the engine and hold it to your hear and it should be the loudest the closest to where its coming from. Would give you a closer area to look. Even climb under it while its running and do it from the bottom.

I dont know what it would sound like, just trying to think of things in that area that could make a noise like that.

Not touching magnetic pickup (pretty sure not in magnetic flywheel) and it is tinging at all times (not moving and moving, idle and full rev). I went on rivaracing to do a tear down of tranny and the only things that could be doing the ting would be if the 5th and 6th gears were out of place and they have 2 catches to the next gear, and it is a ting like 1 catch is going around, not 2 . But I have all gears running. I don't think tranny. Someone said it could be the idler gear on the clutch. He says to see if there is still a clip and a washer on the idler gear. He says if you can slide the idler gear out and it contacts the flywheel (clutch basket gear) that is the problem. WHat do you guys think?

It is not in the clutch area. I took that all out and put her in gear to see where she is catching. The shaft the clutch basket sits on is rolling as pushed from behind then it would stop and go ting then go back to a roll till another revolution and stop and take force to get it to roll again. Now should I take the top of the case off to see what could be causing problem because I know what is going on here, using the bansheehq, banshee zone and a clymer manual as my guides. Or should I look towards a pro. I have done every tear down possible other than a teardown on a crank. Tell me what you think on both, what the shaft could be catching and can I do the teardown

If that's with the clutch basket on, make sure the kick starter gear has the e-clip on it. I had the e-clip come off once and the gear rubbed the basket making a sound. If it does it with the basket off and your sure it's from that shaft, You may have a problem inside. Try to use what you've seen trying to find the trouble and some pics of the cases split to determine what might be causing that noise before you tear it apart.

basket is off (the whole clutch side is gutted out, every thing inside of cover) and she is catching, when in gear being pushed to makr the shaft rotate (which it would do at all times when engine is just running) I am able to see and hear her catch, making the noise. The 2 shafts must have something out of place. It has to be something out of place because every revolution there is a ting at the same time. You speed up engine the ting speeds up.