What size chain do I need?

ABQ

I know this is noob question but I searched around a bit and couldn't find a definitive answer.  I broke my chain yesterday while riding and am looking to replace it.  I'm going to go with a new front and rear sprocket.  I want to shift the power band down a little bit so I'm going to keep the 14 tooth front sprocket but was thinking of going down one tooth in the rear to a 40.  I'm thinking of going with steel sprockets, is there really a big advantage to aluminum ones?  What size chain will I need to make this setup work, 520? I'm planning on going with an x-ring chain.  Any thoughts and opinions would be nice.  I'm pretty new to quads, this is my first.  Its a 2003 Shee as well.  

You realize that dropping the rear sprocket will give you more top speed right? It sounds like you want to gear the bike down, in which case you would need a bigger rear sprocket.

Primary Drive steel sprockets from RockyMountainATV are worth every penny.

D.I.D make some nice o-ring chains.

Well ordered steel front and rear sprockets 42 in the back with a 520 110 link D.I.D x chain.  Bought a chain breaker and rivet tool as well.  It was on the cheaper side so I hope it holds up.  Can't wait to do the install and get back to riding.  

Why not use a regular clip style master link?

A picture would be the best way to explain I guess, but I don't have one right now.  I didn't break the chain where I could use a standard master link to reconnect the chain.  I have a "fork" on one end and a "roller on the other.  It is like this = - instead of - -

I thought I would be able to just find a replacement pin and put one of the rolling links back in and use a master link and be done with it.  I'm having a hard time finding a replacement pin though.  I would rather not reuse one.  

Edited by ABQ