1/8 set up

10milmike

Ok, I have a question. I am setting my bike up for 1/8 this summer, have front and rear struts, 3.50x10 front tires and 20x10x10 american racer sd23 rears. Bike is a sand bike, so I the gearing I have is 15/43 for the hill. That is a perfect gear  for my bike  at the hill. So my question is should I Run 18/39 at the track?  This is were I am lost, not really sure about 1/8. I had a phone conversation with slower then you a few mo's ago. Very helpful he was, but I can not remember what gearing he told me, YEA YEA I know I could just pm him, what what are u 1/8 guys running? Motor is a 10 mil with 2.86 straight cuts. 

i have a 7mil cub that I run 1/8th mile and I am currently running a 17/38 combo which tops out right as I cross the line. I am going to run the 18/38 combo next time I run and see how it performs compared to the 17/38. I am looking for more pull across all gears. You are in the right ballpark with 18/39. I say try it and see how u like it and maybe take a few extra rears 38,36 and play with it. 

Question. could you run with 5th with a 18 39?

Yep u sure can.

Had a nice long phone conversation with SlowerThenYou yesterday. Got alot of good info from him. Thanks again.

You're welcome! The 18/39 is his baseline gearing to start with. I suggested what he should use, that's track tested. His motor is bigger & will probably need to be fine tuned from my suggestion.

I'm sure when he gets to the track we will be able to get things dialed in a little better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok bike spins so bad out of the hole. I  left the lock up same as if i was hillshooting. To much weight out of the hole. Think  I am going to run only 4 stock springs and 16oz on three fingers and 19oz on the other three.

what weight is on the lockup now?

27oz on each finger

I'm a little confused here, maybe it's because it's early in the morning!

Let me start by saying the normal way or standard for weighing arm weights is using grams.

I used a conversion calculator to do the math. Are you sure on 27 oz. on each finger? That's a butt load of weight, you are 5 oz. away from 2lbs of weight on each arm!!!!!!  Something is amiss here.

U are right I ment to say grams. I am cutting the new weights 15/19 grams as u told me over the phone. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I knew something was wrong, LOL!

So what about some time slip information? I understand that spinning badly isn't good, but a time slip still has some useful information.

Taking it to the track Friday. Was doing testing on the street. I know it's not the same but wanted to get a idea of my set up. I will post my slips Friday.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2