Help hole in one piston and cant find cause

haha i hear that on the jetting. i have all the mods in the first post again:

porting (jeff will let me know what they think when they get a look at the jugs (hopefully wednesday)

65mm wiseco pistons

wiseco 4 mil crank

billet intake with 33mm pwk keihin carbs

dynatek cdi (no advance on crank) set on tune 1

k&n pods

paul turner high revs

amsoil 40:1 interceptor oil (know i mixed all tanks for sure)

stock head and .080 head gasket (sent head to jeff and gunna see if he can verify cc's and maybe bore it for the stroker to keep it stock looking)

vforce 4 reeds

br9es plugs

the carb i have a 45 pilots with 2 1/2 turns out on screw and cgl needle on middle clip (know this is good as plugs have always been on the richer side but not too far) and wot i have a 165 mains is this too lean on the mains? seems a little big almost or equal to others running somewhat similar builds im at 1500 -2000 elevation it hasnt been over 90 and 60% humidity here. the 165's were stock in these pwk's so maybe i need a little more but i dont think jetting would be it as the right side was still like perfect. ill post up some pix of my plugs i pulled the right was still brown and the left (side burned up) was pure white. pipe was all white inside as far as i could see.

i still have the rollover valve in so ill gut that right away as i have seen the left carb fuel line a lil low a couple random times (have a T from the stock petcock with the right carb going straight through and the left is T'ed off....is there a better way to split the lines or maybe time for a pingel? whats the limit of the stock valve 70 hp or so? i also have my wot plug chop so ill post them pix up too if ya guys care to take a look

thanks for all the help so far as i mentioned i already tore down post catastrophe so i didnt check the leak down but when i reassemble ill make sure to seal er tight again. also is the best way to clean the bottom end to split the cases or could i just flush the bottom with solvent or something (could use a suction gun to suck er all out? thanks again you guys' help rocks!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill make sure to check the crank out when i split the cases to clean it out....if the bearings are fine i suppose it wont hurt to put new seals in huh.  the way it looks this crank hasnt been in there long so they should be good but ill check the bearings. what are some tips on assembly to keep this thing sealed? rtv everything both sides of gaskets and all or what? i had new gaskets and everything was properly torqued and sealed....these cant be that bad or no one would keep em on account of buring em up

no rtv......SOME people will say that it works for them and that its fine to use...blah blah blah. But you wont find any of our site sponsors using it to seal cases up period.  On gaskets such as the clutch gaskets, I usually take a little grease and wipe a thin layer on those....that way they still seal, and are able to be removed gently and reused.  The exception is the reed gaskets.  If you talk to Jeff he will also tell you to watch out for the cylinder to reed cage gasket.  IF they leak there during your leak down, just pull the reeds off and then use a layer of the case sealant and reapply the gaskets. 

Yes there is a downside of using the reed gaskets with case sealant.......there is a 90% chance that you will need new ones when you remove them.  I usually replace them no matter what........but as a side note, try and find a powersports store and see if they can order some for you.  The powersports store near me can order them in a 5-pack of gaskets for $7.......

I guess i used permatex right stuff...use it all the time at work on everything...before jeff sends the cylinders back ill ask him for a couple tubes of that...anyone know of locally bought alternatives? I used gm anerobic sealant on the case halves as it seals rock hard not gummy like cheap rtv

You actually want the rubbery kinda gummy texture but you want something that is oil AND gas safe.  The vibrations will actually rattle cracks into the rock hard stuff.

You should only need one tube of the case sealant from Jeff as the stuff goes a LONG way......ive split my motor 3 times and my buddies 3 times and I still have a little more than half of a tube left.  You don't wind up using that much on the cases.

• 2 months later...

Ok guys its been a long time but I sent everything to FAST and he straightened the crank and ported the cases and now I've been waiting one month (since he sent back the crank and cases and said 2 weeks then and 2 months total) for him to finish. I'm waiting on stroker domes and a head, and my cylinders to be bored and ported out to mid top power band with t-5's. anyone know of another builder that does just as good of work? Jeff is just so busy I'm tired of waiting hell it's already 50*f out. I need this done in a week....I knew he was busy when I sent me down but he said he's cramming for 2 sand rides common up I can't believe everyone he's rushin done has been waiting since before July!

Edited by stoddardshee

stodderdshee, in post 16 you mentioned that you have the "T" fitting in you're gas line installed so that perpendicular leg leads to the left carb while the straight through ends are connected to the petcock and the right carb. I would recommend changing it so that the perpendicular leg is connected to the petcock as your current setup may cause the left carb to receive less gas than the right carb.

It wouldn't cost anything and would eliminate one more potential fuel issue once you get it all back together.

Or you could just get a dual pingle petcock and be done with it.

If you need it done in a week you might just wanna find a good used set of cly and piston on here that are ported for a 4 mil .. Herr juggs does awesome work and you won't be disapointed and he is super fast but I'm pretty sure he quotes two weeks! Call him or email him and ask

kevinherr@herrjugsracing.com

858-945-3622