first banshee

post-45822-0-70967400-1368405234.jpghey everyone im new here and wasn't really sure where to put this but I just bought my first banshee roughly three weeks ago. 2006 It runs and the motor was just rebuilt but other then that it's in rough shape so slowly ive been working on it and bringing some life back to it. I just came off a Honda cr250 2 stroke that I used to race mx with, so I know my way around a 2 stroke motor quite well and ive been trolling the forums here for information but am sort of lost and I was wondering if someone could provide me with some information on what I can possiblly do to make this shee into a real fire breather,  most of the riding ill be doing will be aggressive trail, and mx.  I really want to make this thing a force to be reckoned with so if you guys could help me out with little tips and tricks and even mods you recommend doing to make these motors fast and how to setup them up suspension wise.  The bikes pretty well stock right now, ive already done the TORS removal, and it has Toomey T5 exhaust system, and a pro-design air filter kit.  ive already started messing around with the jetting and slowly im getting it dialed in but if everyone could help me out here thatd be much appreciated.

thanks colin

Remove motor, box it up ship to a sponsor of choosing, relay info you just gave us to them, wait a few weeks, work backwards from step one, go rip.

seriously tho if your really looking to haul the fucking mail, port it. But until then, your on the right track. Get a timing plate advance that 3-5 degrees, make sure motor is mechanically sound and has good compression, good spark and passes a leak down test. My riding season has just begun, so I'm in a mad rush to reassemble my shit. If your bike is good then ride it for now. Get really comfortable on it and see where you would like it to accel. And don't forget a fast motor is no good if you can't control the bike. So look into suspension upgrades as well.

• Like 1

IMO get the mx hardcore port and +4 timing look into some work shocks and PC for pipes they are good for what you trying to do

x2 

-2 swing arm,  elka shocks, +4 axle, +2 +1 front a arms. 20inche razr tires, K and N filter with no box lid, v4 reeds. hjr does an awsome mx port.

IMO...for right now, I would get the engine squared away as is, maybe a few small and (relatively) inexpensive bolt ons.  You can pretty easily find a buyer for your T5's.  They certainly arent a bad pipe, but not well suited to MX.  Take the money from them and You can easily score a set of Pro Circuits or even FMF fattys, and would probably have a few bucks left over if you searched for a nice used set.  Personally I wouldn't go taking the jugs and stuff off for porting until its necessary, You'll have plenty of balls they way it is with a few bolt ons.  If you're really serious about the MX thing, the suspension is where you need to put the coin, you'll get nowhere with the factory stuff obviously.  Im no expert on suspension setups, but the +2+1 arms and a -1 or -2 swingarm and good shocks will be a good start, to correct the wierd balance of a banshee from the factory.  Keep in mind that the banshee was designed for desert racing, and is still fantastic at that, but they need help (suspension wise)  to be competitive as an MX bike.     Its a piece of cake to make one a rocketship, but what good is that if you're losing ground because of the suspension?  Its all out there and it can be done, just make sure you put your eggs in the right basket so to speak.

thanks everyone for the replies, the motors pretty strong for a stock banshee I suppose im not really sure I have nothing else to compare it to banshee wise, but I do find its has a weird balance to it, seems front heavy to me, but I also feel like the suspension was the last thing on yamahas mind when they designed the banshee, suspension action feels terrible, does anyone run fox floats on there banshees or is elka pretty much the go to experts for banshee suspension? the motors already pretty strong feeling so id rather put my money where its going to count most, and chassis and suspension seems like that's where its at, as for budget...well I don't really have one within reason ill sink whatever I have to into this thing into a bada$$ shee

thanks everyone for the replies, the motors pretty strong for a stock banshee I suppose im not really sure I have nothing else to compare it to banshee wise, but I do find its has a weird balance to it, seems front heavy to me, but I also feel like the suspension was the last thing on yamahas mind when they designed the banshee, suspension action feels terrible, does anyone run fox floats on there banshees or is elka pretty much the go to experts for banshee suspension? the motors already pretty strong feeling so id rather put my money where its going to count most, and chassis and suspension seems like that's where its at, as for budget...well I don't really have one within reason ill sink whatever I have to into this thing into a bada$$ shee

Fox floats with +3 +1 a arms (american star, laegars, etc.), and get some pipes like paul turners most likely since your gonna be mx'ing it

Welcome to the BHQ.....we are different than other forums.  It becomes VERY easy for us to note that your a new guy by things like "bada$$"......if your trying to say BADASS.....just say BADASS.  If its shit, damn, bastard, fuck.......we don't care.....unlike MOST forums.....we are a place that recognizes the real world and can handle words being thrown around.  So no worries about cursing or calling people out here.....

Yes....there are many aftermarket shocks out there.....elka's, fox floats, and works are the ones you hear talked about the most.  MattSCSS is our suspension sponsor on here and can hook you up with rebuilds of any of them........if your nice to him, sometimes he'll even tell you what to look for if your going to go and purchase new shocks to get rebuilt through him.

Welcome to the BHQ.....we are different than other forums.  It becomes VERY easy for us to note that your a new guy by things like "bada$$"......if your trying to say BADASS.....just say BADASS.  If its shit, damn, bastard, fuck.......we don't care.....unlike MOST forums.....we are a place that recognizes the real world and can handle words being thrown around.  So no worries about cursing or calling people out here.....

Yes....there are many aftermarket shocks out there.....elka's, fox floats, and works are the ones you hear talked about the most.  MattSCSS is our suspension sponsor on here and can hook you up with rebuilds of any of them........if your nice to him, sometimes he'll even tell you what to look for if your going to go and purchase new shocks to get rebuilt through him.

fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt shit shit shit shit shit  cocksucker cocksucker cocksucker cocksucker cocksucker cocksucker

so if I get the +2+1 a-arms will this allow me to run longer front shocks, my stock shocks measure roughly 14.5" eye to eye and I have a firecat f6 with fox floats that im thinking of just swapping over but they measure just over 17" eye to eye