jetting problems

peewee2479

I have a stock 96 banshee with pro circuit pipes, prodesign filter, and boysen reeds. i run a 32:1 mixture using synthetic honda oil. I tried a 260 main jet but the left side idled good but shut down at half to full throttle, also smoked heavily. right side ran strong.

Check the compression and clean the carbs w/ an air compressor. Make sure you get all the little ports and jets. Especially the main.

O.k. heres what i did. pulled carb off, cleaned thoroughly. when i started it back up it ran fine for a few seconds then started smoking on the left side and backfiring, just on the left side. i pulled the plug out, which wasnt tight, and put a new one in. still no results. could i maybe have a hole in that piston. if so ,how hard is it to do a top end, and if i put a Wiseco top end kit in will it last as long as it did with stock equipment. It hasnt ever been rebuilt.

I did check the compression. it was alright. checked the reeds also, look like new. i just thought that maybe there could bea small hole in the piston or something. i called the dealership this morning. he said that it sounded like the float valve was stuck. he said if it is stuck it will suck to much gas and it wont burn it all. im gonna try that this morning when i get home from work. i let ya know my results.

I agree with Banchetta (big surprise, heh), if your compression is AT LEAST 100 psi and within 10% side-to-side then you know the pistons & rings are intact...if the reeds are OK and the carbs clean, it could conceivably be a float height issue, although typically they will stick open and you'll be flowing fuel out the overflows like crazy...

Could be an air leak on the left cylinder, either at the carb boots or the crank; test the boots at idle by spraying them with ether and listen for the idle to increase. Test the crank seal with a leak-down tester.

Could also be the coil failing, I'd pull it off and test it (either with an ohmmeter or bench tested at a shop). I'd start with checking for an air leak on the outside and the coil. Good luck.

Its all you Ben!! :D I'd also add to Bens post. Do you still have the Tors connected? Little black box above the left exhaust? Disconnect it. Also disconnect the parking brake switch on the handlebars and follow the wire to the gas tank to a connection and disconnect that. Make sure your slides aren't backwards (cutaway in the slides should face the air box). Try switching the spark plug wires and see if the opposite side acts up...New plugs?? Let us know how that goes... B)

It was my float valve that was stuck runs great now. This is the first that it has ran right since i put my pipes on. I cant believe how much they wake a banshee up. I rode at Haspin acres this weekend and had a blast, but quad oveheated twice. Well i think it overheated. It was blowing antifreeze out the overflow tube all over my pipes. was a lot of 2nd and 3rd gear riding, plus the guys i was ridin with were stopping every ten minutes. Was the slow riding the problem or do i have a cooling issue. Also thanks for the input on the jetting I'd probably be running way to lean if it wasn't for ya all. it is greatly appreciated. :D

I put new plugs in before our ride. I havent checked them yet. I'm running 290 mains, i dont really think that is to lean. but then again i am pretty new at this. do they have thermostats like a car?

No thermostats and don't ever say " you think"!!!!! Your are not your shee!!!!