Just bought pipes - some ?

nickr2184

I have a stock 96 banshee with tors removed and idle kit. I also have a pro design pro flow foam filter. I just bought a used set of chromed PTR mid pipes with fat boy quiet silencers. I would like some opinions and advice. What kind of jetting should be done (what size mains, I live in central Illinois)? Should I put a couple holes in air box lid, no air box lid, or leave it alone. Also I don't know anything about repacking silencers (i will read up here), but where should i get the repacking material (do i need a special kind) ? Thanks very much

Nick

I  have a stock 96 banshee with tors removed and idle kit.  I also have a pro design pro flow foam filter.  I just bought a used set of chromed PTR mid pipes with fat boy quiet silencers.  I would like some opinions and advice.  What kind of jetting should be done (what size mains, I live in central Illinois)?  Should I put a couple holes in air box lid, no air box lid, or leave it alone.  Also I don't know anything about repacking silencers (i will read up here), but where should i get the repacking material (do i need a special kind) ?  Thanks very much

Nick

If you can, run the lid off the air box. It restricts the air quite a bit. If you want to keep it on, then cut the last 1.5" off the end of the lid right behind the clips so you still have all 4 clips holding the cover on.

I'm running 300 mains, needle in the 5th clip from the top, stock pilot, air screw will vary to elevation.

Your elevation will affect your jetting. I'm at sea level. 300 mains would be a good start and work from there.....

Repack the silencers w/ either packing or even just house insulation. They both work well and last just as long....

I agree with Banchetta, good stuff man. If at all possible I'd run it with no lid to get the best airflow...but if you hit alot of mud & water the whole lid (with no snorkel) or cutting the lid would work best. And I dunno how the Fat Boy silencers are set up as far as disassembly for repacking, but I'd pack them before you get 'em mounted. On my FMF's you pretty much have to remove the whole silencer to repack.

I agree with Banchetta, good stuff man.  If at all possible I'd run it with no lid to get the best airflow...but if you hit alot of mud & water the whole lid (with no snorkel) or cutting the lid would work best.  And I dunno how the Fat Boy silencers are set up as far as disassembly for repacking, but I'd pack them before you get 'em mounted.  On my FMF's you pretty much have to remove the whole silencer to repack.

Really?? The Fat boys can be repacked on the bike. The 1" core slides onto or into another core about an 1" long at the inside of the silencer, then the end cap holds the other end of the core. Pretty simple......