Single Carb

If you ever rode motocross you might have a different opinion, the twin carbs can be hell on you thumb. It takes a lot more spring to return 2 carbs back to idle.

So, get a twist throttle..... The sled guys bang bars on machines with multiple cylinders for many laps and they do it on machines that take way more out of you then a quad would.

Yeah, yeah.....now you trying to debate something based off theory not real world experience.

Hey NASCAR motors are 8 engines fed with one carb. Gee are those guys dumb huh?

If you want "crisp" throttle...you run a single or twin 28's. If your motor doesn't make enough power to justifiy bigger carbs....then why do it?

I can make 70+ hp with stock 26's.

I can also make 70+ hp with a single 35PWK on a Graydon intake.

So...why tune 2 carbs if it isn't going to do anything for you?

Ever done a jet change on a single? You just roll the carb to one side and have easy access to the main jet. Gotta change a pilot? Just pull the carb cap and fuel libe and the whole carb come out it you hand filter and all.

1/2 the jetting work, 1/2 the throttle effort, better protection from water and mud since it's totaly behind the motor....like a tail.

Don't bash till you know.

No real world experience? i'm an ASE and state of Mich. certified master automotive and motorcycle mechanic... i have been doing this for a living for 18 years... I have owned my shop (Reliable Auto Repair of Wayne) for 5 years. I have spent 100's of hours dyno tuning (Land & Sea 24" water brake) race cars and trucks.... Nascar only runs a single carb... but drag guys who want to go fast use Kinsler mechanical fuel injection,and again 1 venturi per cyl. I have built identical cars except one had a 1050cfm Dominator, and one had Kinsler FI, both were tuned perfect 12.5/1 AF ratio, not a guess either the $1000.00 wideband O2 doesn't lie.... The Kinsler car was faster....  I have owned many vintage big bore exotic 2 stroke MX bikes (Maico's, Husky's, Bultaco's Ossa's, CZ's, nothing less than 400cc and have done many jet changes... to me the single carb on a twin is the easy way out, and anyone that knows me, knows i like to do things the hard way... it's just my personality.... LOL

'

'

I agree completely. This is one point I can't make clear enough. The billet ones do keep the carb nice and close to the reeds, but the airflow angles kill the flow.

The ONLY style single intake I like is the Graydon. No they don't make them anymore....but they pop up on Ebay all the time.

Have you seen the thread on that one a guy just made? Kinda got that Graydon flava'.

And them NASCAR guys...... Dem sum dum som bitches! Haha

Not bad for a one off piece. The angles are a little severe. The graydon design has smoother intake angles. But since the guy already had intakes, this didn't turn out bad.

Very nice work.

No real world experience? i'm an ASE and state of Mich. certified master automotive and motorcycle mechanic... i have been doing this for a living for 18 years... I have owned my shop (Reliable Auto Repair of Wayne) for 5 years. I have spent 100's of hours dyno tuning (Land & Sea 24" water brake) race cars and trucks.... Nascar only runs a single carb... but drag guys who want to go fast use Kinsler mechanical fuel injection,and again 1 venturi per cyl. I have built identical cars except one had a 1050cfm Dominator, and one had Kinsler FI, both were tuned perfect 12.5/1 AF ratio, not a guess either the $1000.00 wideband O2 doesn't lie.... The Kinsler car was faster....  I have owned many vintage big bore exotic 2 stroke MX bikes (Maico's, Husky's, Bultaco's Ossa's, CZ's, nothing less than 400cc and have done many jet changes... to me the single carb on a twin is the easy way out, and anyone that knows me, knows i like to do things the hard way... it's just my personality.... LOL

:yank: Thanks for the resume.....But I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I'm not impressed. :down: 

Kinsler Mechanical injection??? Umm sorry Dad, but drag guys who want to go fast use sheet metal intakes, superchargers, turbos and this new thing that is out on the market now called "Digital Fuel Injection"

The "Real world experience" that I was talking about was in running a single carb on a Banshee. Sorry...I wasn't looking to have you get all Butt Hurt and overcompensate by giving me your whole Bio.  :huh:

Sorry, but we're really talking about a Banshee that make somewhere around 60ish HP. At that point, thinking you need twin carbs to squeeze every last ounce of power out of it is ridiculous. At those power levels carbs won't do shit. But like you said...."You like to do things the hard way."

Who is saying a single will make more power? A single is great for trails.

Ditto. I ran a single for the last 4 years. Single best mod I did for trail riding outside of some works shocks. Everyone who rode my bike couldn't believe how snappy it was and how hard it pulled. I'm only pulling it off to go efi. Otherwise I'd keep the single and pick up a cast smartcarb. My "little" 355cc motor doesn't live on the drag strip or a dyno so I could care less if I'm losing 3hp at 9500rpm (as some claim). 

I hate when I read anywhere "steer clear of chariot". I understand that it is not a bashing but it still bothers me a bit to read it. Sure people have opinions and also dyno sheets and experience to back up claims. I don't disagree that a Denton 2 in 1 has better angles but at what cost? I truly don't know. what I do know is that nobody has ever asked to return our 2 into 1 nor have they ever posted any negative feedback on here about it. We have sold a lot of them and they still sell very well.

End of the day you can always return it for a full refund even after installed and ran.

:yank: Thanks for the resume.....But I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I'm not impressed. :down:

Kinsler Mechanical injection??? Umm sorry Dad, but drag guys who want to go fast use sheet metal intakes, superchargers, turbos and this new thing that is out on the market now called "Digital Fuel Injection"

The "Real world experience" that I was talking about was in running a single carb on a Banshee. Sorry...I wasn't looking to have you get all Butt Hurt and overcompensate by giving me your whole Bio.  :huh:

Sorry, but we're really talking about a Banshee that make somewhere around 60ish HP. At that point, thinking you need twin carbs to squeeze every last ounce of power out of it is ridiculous. At those power levels carbs won't do shit. But like you said...."You like to do things the hard way."

I'm talking top fuel cars, ALL mechanical injection w/ superchargers... ya know the cars that go 300+mph and run quater mile times of 3 and 4 secs and have 10,000+ HP.... Anyone can throw a hogan intake and a speed pro on a car and run it,,, it's easy.... Kinsler injection is not......