Protecting Chrome

jamebo

Just got a new set of Paul Turner Mids and wanting to keep them looking good. I know there's a lot of chrome cleaners and polishes on the market, but I'm looking for something specifically to keep them from rusting. Thought about just wiping them down with WD-40, but after some research learned that people debate on whether that harms chrome or not.

Any suggestions on what would be a good protectant?

I use mother chrome cleaner on my CPI. They are still looking good no rust.

Yeah I've heard that's some good stuff. It may have rust inhibitors in it also, I'll check into that.

Im curious to hear why wd-40 harms chrome. I wipe my shearers down with it.

Well I don't know if it's true or not, but maybe not. Some of the guys were saying that it contained solvents that would find openings in the finish and eventually lift the chrome off and cause flaking. I have used it myself on my FMF's and never noticed any ill effects.. but was just checking around on the net about it to make sure because the PT's cost me a ton of coin.

good chrome should only need a shine every once and a while. the pipes on my street bike are 4 years ol and ive never once used anything other then soap an water.

The pipes were just triple plated a couple weeks ago. I don't know who it is that does Duncan Racing's chroming, but it looks to be high quality work.

wasnt wd-40 first produced for the navy to stop the rust on torpedos so they didnt lodge up on the way out? i know alot of old school bikers that use that shit religiously

It was some rocket chemical scientist's from California, they first developed it to prevent rust on the Atlas missile. I use WD-40 a lot around the house, and always have a can around. Kinda shocked me when I saw some negative advice about putting it on chrome. It may just be a few people's opinions though and not really true.