gas mileage questions.

remember that your oil ratio doesn't mean crap to your motor if your jetting is way off (as your oil/lubrication is delivered through the fuel) lean it out too much and your not getting correct lube.  Also remember that you can overheat your motor by getting it OVERLY rich.  This is why it is a must to read up on how to do a plug chop and jetting.  Also learn how to do a leakdown test as an air leak will lean it out and melt pistons.

alright. i will learn the leakdown test thing. will be good to know. its running a richer oil mix cause its cooler. the guy i got it from was running 40:1 while hill climbing in 95 degree weather witj no over heating problems. its only had about 17 gallons of gas since.a complets rebuild. so ill learn my maintenance and make sure everything ks jn tip top shape. thanks.

changing the oil ratio when it gets colder will not keep it lubricated when its colder out.....you need to install larger main jets to flow MORE fuel and oil through the carbs and into the motor.  These are not like the 4 stroke motors you came from where you could ignore jetting and it would run (just not as well)......this is literally the difference between the bike running and being sitting in the garage needing a rebuild....and remember.....if its a rebuild because something went really wrong, your not just looking at rebuild the top end, but also the lower end.  so chances are the bill could jump from $300 to $700+ if not more....

okay....doubt you did it purposely...but I cant STAND when people use z's on the end of a word to pluralize it. Degreez......what the fuck is that haha. 

But to answer your question, that's not that bad of fuel consumption for a banshee.  These are not 4 stroke motors.....we constantly spin our motors up to twice the revs of most 4 strokes.....and remember....we are running twin carbs. 

Also....YOU MUST REJET YOUR CARBS WHENEVER THE WEATHER DROPS.  These bikes take ALOT of maintenance and a lot of upkeep to keep them running strong, and hard.  Your bike might be running really "excellent" right now.......but realistically...it could be running lean and hurting itself everytime you ride it.  Remember...its 2 stroke nature to run stronger as you lean it out (and leaning it out can hurt it quick).

x2^^^^^^^^^  2 strokes DO NOT like lean!!  It will melt a piston in a hurry, more times than not on the exhaust side..  Winter riding always gets kicked up one jet size main&pilot..

x2^^^^^^^^^  2 strokes DO NOT like lean!!  It will melt a piston in a hurry, more times than not on the exhaust side..  Winter riding always gets kicked up one jet size main&pilot..

forgot to say.. it happens because cold air is denser, than warm air, and has more oxygen content.

• 3 years later...

My bike drinks gas. The dual pingel has screwed me so many times. I always bring a strap because I run out of gas so often

This is an old thread I know but I was curious what my fuel economy should look like considering my mods.. Ive ran out of gas 4 times already in the trails too because of the dual pingel lol