Chain and sprockets

jscharphorn

For the sprockets i just buy the JT sprockets off of ebay for like $20. Ive got a 12, 14, and 17 tooth and different length chains for each. The sized you kinda gotta play around with, it kinda sounds like youve got two different riding ratios. For dunes i would want a high top speed but not too much that it takes away youracceleration, and for trail riding it would be the opposite. If i had to throw some numbers out there id say go maybe a 13 for trail and 16 or 17 for dunes. If you only wanted to have one sprocket then id keep stock, but this is just my opinion. For chains i havent messed with them very much so i wouldnt be a great advice giver on that!

He'll never be able to turn a 16 or 17 in the sand.  The sand takes a lot of power to ride in. 

Being that your motor is stock you would probably like a 13/41 gearing for the sand, otherwise you're not gonna have any low end at lower rpms.  I didn't jump back to stock gearing 14/41 on my duner motor unitl I went to an aggressively dune ported 4 mil motor.  Without having that low end in the low RPMs trail riding in the sand sucks because everytime you come out of a turn or hit the throttle to pull the front end up the motor falls on it's face and your grabbing for a lower gear.

I run 16/44 on my drag bike in the sand but it makes quite a lot of power.

I would start with stock gearing for your trail riding depending on how tight they are and try 13/41 for the dunes until you get more motor work done.

SP

It will be a little higher geared thn 13/41 which is what I woudl recommend for your motor (depending on how well it actually runs) for the sand.  I would try it and see how it does before aking changes.  Going down one tooth in the front is almost equall to going up 3 teeth in the rear. 

Obviously chenging the front is easier and usually can have the chain adjustment done at the carrier.  Changing several teeth on the rear will involve changing the chain length.

SP

I have alwasy run steel sprockets.  Why did you go with a plus 4 on a stock motor with no porting?  Maybe you will like it but I know I wouldn't have any fun riding it.  You at least need some pipes, advanced timing, high pompression or something, unless you just don't like the front end to come up.

Get the longest chain with the smallest sprocket configuration so you can have the most flexibility.  Then just add another master link if you need more chain. 

SP