No low end power.

joewest

I just got my banshee yesterday. Its a 2001. It has absolutely no low end, ive rode 2 strokes before, i know they don't have much but there is nothing till it hits the powerband. Once it hits the powerband it runs fantastic tho. It has fmf fattys thats the only mod i can tell it has. Pretty sure its the stock air filter. What can i do to get some more low end? I just ride trails and fields no track or dunes. If i get a k/n filter can i just leave the air box cover off? Or would i need to get the k/n cover replacement?

Sorry if this has been brought up b4 this is my first post im new to this site and the banshee.

Also seems like my thumb throttle is pretty stiff can i lube it or adjust it? My clutch is really hard to pull in also. The guy i got it from said he just put a clutch in it a heavy duty one could it be stiff cuz its new? I had a 08 yz450f dirtbike b4 this maybe the clutch was just way easier to pull on it?

• Like 1

Stock banshee are pretty good as far as low end.. If everything is proper your banshee with fmfs should be a great trail quad!! First thing id do is a compression test. I good topend should kick out 120psi or better! If compression is good then id look into the carbs. Make sure they are clean and properly jetted! There are a ton of mods to help power but zero sense in doing any of them if your quad is not mechanically sound! Like i said before, your quad should have a nice amount of bottom end the way it is. I bet you need a top end rebuild!!

Hmm yea i know the carb is leaking i have read around it says it could be dirty or need a new needle. Whoever had it b4 me really didnt take good care of it. Im planning on going all threw it. I wanna get a good book on it first tho. Compression is right at 120psi. It hauls some serious ass when it hits the powerband. Just dont feel right in the low end. It cranks right up and idles fine tho.

if it has stock carbs, the thumb lever shouldnt be stiff at all,  if both cables (clutch/throttle) are stiff and look some what old, get some new ones.  new cables can make a world of difference if your ones have some time on them. has it still got the tors ? (big box things on top of the carbs with an flat blade screw diver adjuster on top, you adjust from above, removing your seat)

from closed lid, to open and k/n you will need to rejet. youll need to go up a few sizes.

If you have the big clunky boxes on top of the carbs, you need a complete TORS removal kit which will come with a new cable. Clymer is the manual to get. If you're going to keep the stock air box, this is the filter setup to get.

http://www.farmandsandtoys.com/partdetail.asp?partid=457

You can take the spring out of the thumb throttle. It's only needed for the TORS.

If you don't ride in mud, you should get pods and outerwears.

Joe.....correct the TORS brain box is what is under the fuel tank on the left.  It seems like your pretty eager and also seems like you've looked over the bike a time or two and noticed some things that others may have overlooked.  Good job on not sounding like a 4 year old trying to explain nuclear fission. :cheers:

Clymers manual is the manual your gonna want.  However you can download the factory service manual here on the site. Personally i'd still get the clymers.

For motor mods, we have a few site sponsors on here that do great work. Those include FAST Racing (farmandsandtoys.com), HJR, Redline Racing, Wildcard Racing.........Personally I have dealt only with Jeff at FAST Racing.....great guy and great service.  He carries almost EVERYTHING you could need for your bike.....and if he doesn't carry it then usually he can tell you who will and where to get it. 

From the sounds of your low end problems, it would sound like your jetting may be off.  For some reason a lot of previous owners are smart enough to rejet the main jet based on the FMF pipes.....but no one looks at the pilot jet.  When I got my bike with FMF Fattys on it, I almost had to pump the throttle while slipping the clutch just to get the revs high enough to make it to the powerband.  It wound up being the previous owner did not go with a larger pilot jet.....

FMF Fattys LIKE 27.5 pilot jets.......stockers are 25 and cant feed enough fuel at low speed for the pipe. 

Also your jetting (assuming your riding AROUND 1000-1700' and its say around 60*) should be roughly in the 260-270 main jet area and a 27.5 pilot jet area.........if the pipes are the only mod.  As the bike gets the opportunity to breathe better based on you putting on more performance parts, you will continue to have to rejet.

Jereme