General duner frame questions...

grpark20

How much lightening can you do on a dune bike frame so that it's still safe?  What about bolt on sub frame for a dune bike?  I'm building/starting a build for a strictly dune bike.  No dragging, hill shooting, or anything too crazy.  Bike I plan on building will have 70 hp max with +2+1 arms and +2 swinger.  So how much lightening can I do and will a bolt on sub frame hold up?  What's your opinion? Thanks.

if its just a duner, why worry about weight?  instead of taking metal out for weight savings, take out and replace/add tubing and fix ugly yams-welds to make it look nice.  for a dune frame, you can make something that you like the look of instead of worrying about every pound you could save.  just a thought.

if its just a duner, why worry about weight?  instead of taking metal out for weight savings, take out and replace/add tubing and fix ugly yams-welds to make it look nice.  for a dune frame, you can make something that you like the look of instead of worrying about every pound you could save.  just a thought.

I'm honestly not worried about weight, but I figured while I'm building it why not lighten it.  The priority for me is to make it look nice versus the weight savings.  I personally think the bolt on/weld sub frames look better than a stocker cleaned up.

Do you live in NJ? Where do you go to ride dunes?

Yes....I travel to get to the dunes.  Going to Little Sahara, OK in March.  Doing St. Anthony and Glamis in late 2013 or early 2014.  I also have a 09 YFZ 450R that I currently dune with and it's a Cadillac, but I'm itch'n to build another shed.  To keep my sanity I ride a 07 Honda Rancher local.  If my 450 can get scratched I don't ride it.  Some will go for my shee when I build it.  God help me if and when I get stationed in Cali.....

I agree with springer, I just built a duner myself, I was worried about weight but realized if I'm not 100% dragging that should be my least concern. The most I did was cut off some stock tabs & gussets, had some tubing welded in place, as well as a chromoly sub frame.

IMG_0141_zps67339b0d.jpg

Piling on here rather than starting the same topic.  + I like pictures.

I'm starting to setup a frame just for dunning as well.  If I turn what I've read, and the above, into a list - I get the below.  Does that check out?  What am I missing?  I hit the brackets I'm cutting with a little orange paint I had, just to visualize what I was doing.  Might help for illustration purposes as well.

Any recommendations for sub frame and welding in Washington?

Cut:
stock front brake brackets
2013-01-20%2021.30.29%20%28Small%29.jpg
stock pipe front brackets near rear lower a-arm attachment
2013-01-20%2021.31.19%20%28Small%29.jpg
stock pipe front brackets on outside of up\down frame tub for front motor mounts
2013-01-20%2021.31.14%20%28Small%29.jpg
weird little tab with rubber above rear shock attachment
2013-01-20%2021.31.45%20%28Small%29.jpg
headlight brackets (optional)

Replace:
the whole sub frame
left to right support between upper shock attachment
left to right support between rear lower a-arm attachment