ebay swingarms

Tommygunn

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Windy...

Who do you know that broke an ebay swingarm from the swingarm shop?

Rich Wood is a fellow racer and he sells a lot of them.  That doesn't make them better or worse, and there are plenty of fabricators on the site that can do a nice job for a great price as well (Obviously I'd use a roundhouse 100X before I went back to stock style)...

But who do you know that broke one?  And yes...hate to say it, 1 year warranty is pretty good on an aftermarket part like that.

I realize JJ&A has great warranties on their parts, especially their axles.  But for aftermarket stuff that is used and abused...1 year is pretty good.

I'm just curious who had the arm, for how long and what did Rich do?

Windy...

Who do you know that broke an ebay swingarm from the swingarm shop?

Rich Wood is a fellow racer and he sells a lot of them.  That doesn't make them better or worse, and there are plenty of fabricators on the site that can do a nice job for a great price as well (Obviously I'd use a roundhouse 100X before I went back to stock style)...

But who do you know that broke one?  And yes...hate to say it, 1 year warranty is pretty good on an aftermarket part like that.

I realize JJ&A has great warranties on their parts, especially their axles.  But for aftermarket stuff that is used and abused...1 year is pretty good.

I'm just curious who had the arm, for how long and what did Rich do?

I broke a +6 duning. It was 3 years old at the time. But it's not like I'm out skying and catching air. It was almost all sand action. My buddy Bill broke his +6. He bought his 1 year after I did and his broke 2 years after mine. Both were the stock carrier style. I asked about warranty and was told one year. To be honest, I didn't really want a new arm because if it broke once....why would I trust it a second time? Plus I was ready to get a real swing arm with the round carrier, so I just moved on. (For what I paid for it new, it was no big loss.)

Mine was a full blown failure. I got pics of the bike at SL sitting with the bike all dropped like a drag bike. (I didn't get hurt but my weekend was trashed.) I was drag racing Dozer520 and toomeysheeLE when it happened.

Bill's arm started showing the signs mine did of the cracks in the paint around the areas I had problems with. So Bill had a chance to do something before it fully broke. He added gussets to the shock mount to help deflect some of the twisting forces. (Come to think of it...he might still have it sitting in his garage)

But those arms are so inexpensive, that if they break....is it worth it to pay to ship the broken one out and pay for shipping on a free one if it is still the same design that broke?

I had talked to Rich once at the BP up at SL before the swing arm failure......he's a cool guy. I don't have any ill will against him. (It's not like he's Harry at Trinity. LOL) But in this post I described the little flaw in the overall design.......but when you sell thousands and have a jig all set up.....is he really going to change everything up?

He should go a little thicker on the wall thickness of the square tube, make the round tubes pass all the way through the square tube and then weld all those points. It would transfer load to 50% more area.

I'm not really trying to personally bash Rich here. I feel these arms have a place in the market. I'd rather see some kid with too little cash buy one of his arms, rather then some bolt on extension plates. But for very little extra, you can get a full chromoly arm from Stellar, JL, and many other builders that will hold up to everything you can throw at them. I'm just stating that they can and do break. After getting my arm from him, it looked and felt SO STRONG I couldn't imagine it failing. (That was one of the reasons my buddy Bill bought the same arm.) But I didn't realize they had a wear factor shorter than a factory swing arm.

Dave I hope you understand.... I'm only trying to share info. Honestly I'm like you on this one. At this point you couldn't PAY me to run a stock carrier on any of my machines. LOL So to me, buying anything that still uses that stock design is a waste of money. I say go all in with a full chromoly and round carrier...or wait till you can. But if an Ebay arm is in anyone's future....just keep an eye on it for safety's sake. Inspect it after every ride. If you see any cracks in the paint at all.....get another arm fast.

Joe... If I ever need durability testing on anything... You're my man.  You could break a titanium brick.... Lol.

Fair enough John... I've raced with Rich for a long time ( guy is like a rock star... You KNOW he's partied a time or two in his day.. Lol)

Never heard of issues like that.  Shut happens.  Good value for the price... However, if your gonna build a motor that needs a longer arm... I suppose another 100 to 150 to go round House is really in your best interest.

I'm lucky to have wheelman 5 minutes away...

Joe... If I ever need durability testing on anything... You're my man.  You could break a titanium brick.... Lol.

Fair enough John... I've raced with Rich for a long time ( guy is like a rock star... You KNOW he's partied a time or two in his day.. Lol)

Never heard of issues like that.  Shut happens.  Good value for the price... However, if your gonna build a motor that needs a longer arm... I suppose another 100 to 150 to go round House is really in your best interest.

I'm lucky to have wheelman 5 minutes away...

Yea some may say Im rough on things!!! lol

• 1 month later...

Wheelman Chassis, Turbo Chassis, Stellar, Tyson Racing and Fireball Racing are all BansheeHQ sponsors that can build you a swingarm.

I would contact them and get some prices and turn around time.

Thank you ... I would like to tell you that you have got to be one of the best admins I have seen on a forum . You replies are cut throat and funny as hell haha .