Max piston ring gap?

TeRC_FK

i dont know what the max is on wiseco piston rings, some factory service manuals have max ring gap for stock piston rings but i dont think wiseco do. you just make them as close to minimum as possible, maybe around .002" more if ya gonna rev the absolute fuck out of it (more if boost/n2o is used). sometimes the rings you get are bigger, so you just have to run them or keep buying rings untill you have to file some down. on my 68mm bore, over 4 or 5 sets of rings, all were .003-.004" over minimum. wanted to run .013" but .016" was the tightest.

I called Wiseco and all they said was to get it pretty close. That's a bullshit answer. The gap is now twice the minimum it should be. I'm wondering if I have to buy new rings or if I could run it that way. The instructions say to increase the gap even more for modded engines but doesn't say how much.

Good question Surfrjag.

Assuming all is good there...

I've raced 1/4 mile asphalt for years and know from ET slips exactly what my bike will do. I also install new pistons and rings at the beginning of each new season. With freshly nikasiled cylinders I prefer to start on the tight side (.012) on my 68mm cubs but have been as high as .016 and not seen an ET difference or felt any performance was lost. Turbo and nitrous guys run larger gaps like DDU said.. Don't waste your money on buying more rings just because your a little wider than you'd like.

Piston and rings are brand new and the cyclinder was bored to the piston. Piston clearance is not a problem. The reason the one set is so far off is because I wasn't paying attention and gapped them for the smaller cyclinder. When I tried to assemble everything, I realized what I did and I ended up now with a gap twice as large. I'm at about .02 now.