banshee running off one cylinder

98_banshee

The other day I was letting my banshee idle and it was running fine and then the idle got really low and only the right cylinder was firing the left was blowing cool air out of the pipe. So I switched the plug wires and then the left cylinder started firing and the right was doing the same as the left before. I switched out my coil with an extra one I had and its doings the same. I tested the coil and it's getting spark. Brand new plugs in the bike. So today I took off the carbs and cleaned them. They were fine. It won't idle at all. Someone please help I'm getting really frustrated. Reeds are also fine. Only thing I could think of is a weak spark or something coming from the stator.

I don't think so, I'm new to most of this two stroke stuff. I also heard it could be a bad crank case seal? I'm stumped I have no idea what to do.

Woah don't jump to conclusions. If you can swap parts with a known good bike. Cdi coil stator flywheel on/off switch and what ever else. Check all your connections keep it simple at first

if u have a volt meter set it to ohms and check resistance of plug wires i bet they will be different....in a wasted spark ignition if resistance to 1 plug if different than the others it can then start misfireing on the other cylender...i think it will fire the lower resstance route every time iirc .....maybe somebody who knows more than me will chime in soon for ya...also if plugs have different resistance that can affect it but i just noticed that u said u tried a different coil so now im not sure but its and easy check

Edited by fat_tony

think simple. if you can switch the wires and the problem moves with the wire then there is an ignition problem....so that means its not the carbs or the pistons/head. DOUBT it would be a crank seal as if it blew a crank seal it would start sucking the tranny fluid and you would see it start smoking extra hard off of the right cylinder.

before you go having a panic attack try either trimming or replacing your plug wires. AND your plugs. even though you said they're new who says its not a bad plug. i've personally had an issue like that.....new plug ran like shit.....pulled them out to discover one had been dropped and cracked the porcelin insulator....caused it to arc to the threads instead of the electrode.

after you have exhausted the small easy items then start moving up to larger items like stator and what not.

think simple. if you can switch the wires and the problem moves with the wire then there is an ignition problem....so that means its not the carbs or the pistons/head. DOUBT it would be a crank seal as if it blew a crank seal it would start sucking the tranny fluid and you would see it start smoking extra hard off of the right cylinder.

before you go having a panic attack try either trimming or replacing your plug wires. AND your plugs. even though you said they're new who says its not a bad plug. i've personally had an issue like that.....new plug ran like shit.....pulled them out to discover one had been dropped and cracked the porcelin insulator....caused it to arc to the threads instead of the electrode.

after you have exhausted the small easy items then start moving up to larger items like stator and what not.

This is IMHO the perfect way to attack a problem this is ignition related since it changed when you swapped plug wires. Very good advice and a systematic approach. Bravo!!!

well today i took apart my harness and found out one of my connections came loose so i plugged it back in. it was the white/red wire which runs from your cdi to your magneto. i then tried to kick the bike over and it still wont start. i know your not supposed to spray starting fluid in a 2 stroke but i sprayed a little in it anyway. it started up and ran for about 5 seconds. which now makes me think its a pilot jet clogged up or something clogged up inside the carb. anybody else have a input on the matter, any suggestions???????